What should companies do to make the internet safe for children?

Publié 4 décembre 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY Voir le Profil

We need your comments!

Online safety has been a big topic this year on Voices of Youth - we've spoken to youth all around the world about it at events like the #BYND2015 summit in Costa Rica, and we've published several research reports about it.

Earlier this year UNICEF and the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) started working on a revised set of guidelines for the ICT/digital industry on how best to protect children's rights in the ICT/digital sphere.

These guidelines are designed to help companies ensure that children and young people have the best possible experience when using social media or the internet.

And because they concern YOUR online experience, we want YOUR opinions. The draft guidelines and instructions are now online and available for comment. You can read them HERE.

What we specifically want to know from you is:

1. What are the most important things you think companies (like social media, internet service providers, mobile phone companies) should do to make sure children and youth are safe when using the internet and mobile phones?

2. Do you feel there is anything missing from the guidelines that you want to add?

3. Do you think that any of the points in the guidelines about protection would impact negatively on some of your other rights? If so, which ones and why?

You can also leave your comments in the comment section below and we'll be sure to pass them on to the people who are working on the guidelines.

The deadline for submissions is 20 December 2013 - so you have just over two weeks to make sure your voice is heard.

youth ITU digital citizenship online safety digital child online protection comment