Who is in charge?

Publié 10 mai 2012 no picture

Inscrit le 9 mai 2012

Internet creates opportutnities to interact on a platform and raise your voice on issues improtant to you and your society. Many countries today are imposing state controlled information creation and flow. Many go as far as to outlaw private media and voicing your opinions on blogging and social network platforms.

UNICEF Digital Citizenship and Safety (DCS) team and partners are in discussion whether such central filtering programmes imposed by the state, are just and if it constitutes censorship.

One common recommendation is whether a state-imposed filter is unnecessary, as parents could otherwise have the option of installing filtering software onto computers if they wished to keep their children off certain websites. However, the DCS team argues that this approach is not enought and that the only way to ensure safe Internet use is not blatant censorship but a hollistic approach through digital literacy education, such that users become aware of the threats of personal information theft, spam, meeting strangers, etc. and at same time have the access to information and opportunties online.

So what do you think? Is education and open net really the right answer or government needs to be our guardians on the net?