Why The Hate?

Publié 21 mai 2013 Avatar Carrisa T

Avatar Carrisa T Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 13 août 2012

May 17th in 1990 was the day when homosexuality was removed from the International Classification of Diseases of the World Health Organization (WHO) in 1990. I am not sure if it was a mere coincidence or if it really was the reason of celebrating IDAHO (International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia) today- but that was just something I would like to share to my readers in case some of you still believe that homosexuality/bisexuality/transsexuality are diseases: they aren't.

I am not a Saint or a Westernist; I am not a liberalist either- but I do believe in human rights. I believe that everyone was born equal and we were given the similar space to exercise our right as long as it will not harm others.

The right to life, the right to be free from fear (freedom from fear) and the right to pursue happiness are the top 3 rights, for me, personally, because when someone takes away one of it from your life, you will not be able to enjoy your life to the fullest and that is the time when your life will no longer seems valuable and human rights will mean nothing but piles of papers and empty words.

The sad truth is, not each one of us is fortunate enough to have the space and support to exercise those rights. As for today, I will talk about our LGBT fellows. Yes, Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals and Transgender; the minority and second class-citizen in almost every country around the world.

Millions are living in constant fear. Plenty decided to end their life because of the pressure and discrimination. Numerous of them decided to hide in the closet and keep everything to themselves; living a life filled with lies- not only to their spouse and children, but also to their true heart and feelings. They are condemned, resented, discriminated, harassed and even murdered because of their sexuality, their feelings and something that they can't control. Happiness is nowhere to be found. They lost the top 3 human rights that a human should own: their right to life, their right to be free from fear and their right to pursue their happiness.

Please, keep in mind that nobody wakes up one morning choosing to be gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender. If it is a choice, I dare to bet that in this world full of hatred and discrimination towards the LGBT, they would choose to be a heterosexual instead so that they would be socially accepted hence it would be easier for them to live a good and peaceful life. But contrary to popular belief, it isn't.

Do you remember that one morning when you suddenly woke up and said to yourself 'wow, I am going to be straight today!',anyone? because I don't, even though I am straight.

Now let's get cheesy and talk about love. Do you remember when did you start to fall in love with someone? I normally don't though I've tried to mark a certain date or month. Have you figured out why you were attracted to or in love with him/her?well, as the classic saying goes, you don't know why you could love someone. It just happens-that's why they call it 'fall in love'- no one has the intention to 'fall'.

It is very cruel and heartless to blame, punish and hate someone for something that they don't get to control, isn't it?

It isn't a disease either because, scientifically and medically speaking, so many researches have concluded that it isn't a disease. If it is, then why can't we find a certain medicine to suppress it? it's been decades. centuries, even. Human have discovered ways and medicines to heal hundreds or even thousands of diseases and illnesses; but why not this one, then? Linkback: because it isn't one. It is natural. Probably you've read once that Homosexuality is found in over 300 mammal species (see? It isn't against the will of Mother Nature!) but homophobia is only found in one species: the wisest and the brainiest of all- Humans.

How preposterous it is that people hate another because of love? As a seventeen year old I found it irrational, frivolous and stupid.

A guy who dates another guy won't trigger a world war 3, it will not create a massive genocide (rainbow troops killing thousands of people? MEH) and it will bring you no harm, at all. Change of culture is acceptable if it's necessary. Balinese used not to wear any upper clothing back then in 1920s, but we changed for a greater good. Some tribes used to consume human flesh, some of us used to comply to arranged marriage or even underage marriage, but now many are against it and the culture has changed accordingly.

Now the question is: why would you support and keep a culture filled with hatred? What good would it bring to you and your life? Who can define what is wrong when it comes to love, anyway?

Open your eyes, stretch out your mind a bit, have a heart.

Ask yourself: why the hate?

LGBT aren't dangerous. They aren't mutants. (Even if they are, they would be the cool ones!) They aren't anomalies.

They are humans. They deserve to be treated as one.

Stop saying that you are a homophobe, you aren't scared, you are just intolerant. Better yet, stop being one.

Happy belated International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia! I love my LGBT friends and I wish they would be able to have equal rights as mine, very soon. You are not alone :)