Working together for a culture of peace

no picture UNESCO Youth
UNESCO Youth
Inscrit le 16 mars 2017

Cartoon children holding hands around world

Intercultural dialogue refers to the open and respectful exchange of views between individuals and groups with different ethnic, cultural, religious and linguistic backgrounds. in other words, it means living together with our differences, while furthering universal respect for justice and human rights upon which this coexistence depends.

Never before has the world been as connected as it is today. However, we as individuals still struggle to find ways to live together. Globalization has changed the world on a fundamental level, and this change has accelerated rapidly over the past few decades. As a result, our world faces new, complex challenges which traverse borders and cannot be solved by just one country working alone.

If we are to tackle the challenges posed by the sustainable development agenda, we need to urgently work together. I believe that the way to achieve this is through the promotion of intercultural dialogue.

Today, peace requires ever more active investments. We cannot tackle global issues or make this world a better place to live in if we are unable to engage in sincere dialogue with individuals and communities that our different from our own. As a global community, we must think more clearly and more deeply about effective strategies that will help us shape a peaceful world. This will include issues such as the promotion of collaboration between government institutions and NGOs, investing in youth to counter violent extremism, establishing gender equality and ensuring that young people all over the world have equal opportunities to make their voices heard.

Finding ways to live together concerns all of us. We must all get involved in making this happen and ensuring that we are all included, particularly the most marginalized. We are all agents of change, for ourselves, our communities and our world.

Marwa Azelmat

Read more articles from UNESCO’s youth community here.