Youth advocates speak out - 'The Education We Want'

Publié 16 juillet 2013 no picture

Inscrit le 27 mars 2013

Youth advocates for education speak out!
Their dreams, their hopes, their drive…

Listen to what they have to say!

Last week, twelve youth nominated by UNICEF and the UN Girls’ Education Initiative (UNGEI), came to New York City to participate to Malala Day.

Youth nominees, between the ages 13 to 25, came from the United States, United Kingdom, Hong Kong, Zimbabwe, Spain, Nicaragua, Kosovo, Korea, Pakistan, the Gambia, and Uganda.

Many of the youth are advocates for global education in their home countries. Christina Ramsay, 24, from London, was chosen to attend Malala Day because of her work campaigning on climate change and the IF campaign for UNICEF UK. She said she is here for Malala Day because, “Education doesn’t hinder; it enhances your abilities.”

Mia Tsang, 13, from the United States, was chosen to attend Malala Day by UNICEF’s “Let Us Learn” initiative for her fundraising and advocacy work. She previously organized a fundraiser on the drought in Somalia and plans to continue to raise awareness at her high school in upstate New York.

Modou Nyang, 24, from the Gambia, works on women’s education for FAWEGAM. On the importance of education, he said, “Being the first in my family to go to a conventional school has really saved my life.”

On July 12th, the young people participated to Malala Day events including the Youth Assembly where Malala Yousafzai marked her 16th birthday with an inspirational speech on education and the Closing Ceremony where UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Angelique Kidjo shared her personal story and performed several songs.

UNICEF was happy to welcome these youth whose work is an inspiration to us all and who will continue to advocate for education for every girl and boy in their countries.