Anna Hazare's anti-corruption campaign

Posted April 13, 2011 no picture Nikhila Chandrashekhar

no picture Nikhila Chandrashekhar View Profile

This month has been a significant one in India. A noted social activist Anna Hazare started an indefinite hunger fast to urge the government of India to speed up an anti-corruption bill. The bill has been pending in our parliment for decades now, as corruption persists everyday, everywhere. Millions of people have lost their lives because hospitals in India do not have staff, or refuse to treat patients without being given bribes. Millions of others have got absolutely no benifit from any of the government schemes as the money from the central exchequer is not reaching their towns. Thousands of Indians have been denied justice in the higher courts as cases have been pending and the judges and the people incharge are corrupt. Registering a single case in a police station has become imppossible withpout bribing the police officers.

Anna Hazare's call for people to protest has received a tremendously good response. The middle class and the youth have taken to the streets demanding the anti-corruption bill (the lokpal bill) to be drafted soon.

But will a single bill do the trick? In a country with 1.2 billion people where corruption is rampant everywhere, starting from the smallest of government offices to the highest places, what can one lokpal bill do? It offers a platform for people to register their complaints. But unless action is taken on the corrupt official immediately, nothing is going to change. For this to happen, we need lokpal officers in every single village and town. These officers themselves must not heed to bribes.

Most importantly, the people need to wake up and learn to stand for their rights. Apart from the educated middle class, not many turned up for Hazare's protest. The rural people, the ones who suffer from corruption the most must realise the importance of this cause.

What is the best way to fight corruption in our case?