BASIC SCHOOLS RECEIVE FREE LAPTOPS.

Posted October 12, 2011 Avatar Kwasi Bekoe

Avatar Kwasi Bekoe View Profile

Under the governments’ quest to encourage the studies of information communication technology(ICT) in Ghana,the government and its partners rLg communications,a Ghanaian technology manufacturing firm have started the programme with a target to reach all schools with 60,000 child-friendly laptops to aid pupils in ICT development.This is in light of how the world is now made up of wires in a sense that the global economy is driven by ICT and so would want to instill in the future generation of Ghana with knowledge on ICT. The programme began with a launch at the International Conference Centre in Accra,Ghana which saw education big wits gracing the occasion including the vice president of the land as the guest of honour and in his statement addressed on behalf of him by the minister of Education,Mrs.Betty-Mould Iddrisu,he said government is going to do all possible to ensure that each child of school-going age gets to know computer and it applications practically to help them compete effectively with the outside world which is networked courtesy the power of technology. Again,this programme was first introduced by the previous administration when it was first known as the “one laptop per child” project but could not see the light due to misappropriation of funds purposely to procure these education materials for our young ones and so development partners ceased in sponsorship for the project until the emergence of rLg communications who has thought deep of the development of the child’s well being re introduced this noble project,to promote the idea of domestication and supported by government.Also bridging the gap between rural school children who do not have any knowledge on computing and those counterparts in the urban areas yet they write an examination on ICT at the final grade of their course resulting in a wide disparity in the results,lack of competition even at the local level within the country. But as they embark on this project,there is still a problem as most communities where there are schools have no electricity and so the question is,how do these eager young people use the laptops when there is no electricity at some areas?Even if the computers’ batteries would be charge,it might probably be done kilometers away from the beneficiary communities and hinder the start of lesson as they would be left behind by time. So kudos to rLg for this noble project and the government its support but the government must not leave everything on rLg as they do much of the project,it should be a partnership thing.Government should ensure that all beneficiary communities are put on the national electricity grid for the effective roll out of the project to ensure an ICT inclined generation in Ghana for better development. Written by:Frank Bruce,IYR,Ghana.