Education as a Human Right

Posted November 11, 2011 no picture Eleanor Claire

no picture Eleanor Claire View Profile

Although many understand and support the concept of upholding human rights, some may not give adequate thought to the scope of rights to which all human beings are entitled. In the broadest terms, human rights have come to mean that every individual, regardless of their ethnicity, gender, or religion deserves to be treated equally and receive the same opportunities and standard of justice. Beyond that, what are actually human rights and what are privileges becomes blurred, and subject to a variety of opinions. Education, for example, is not available for everyone in the world: girls in sub-Saharan Africa, for example, often lack opportunities to attend school. In my view, this should be considered a violation of human rights, as every person should be given access to as much education as they desire. Without education one is stuck, perhaps left fighting for survival. Those not given an equal chance for education are not given an equal chance for economic success or equality. If individuals can’t succeed economically or socially, it ends up hurting everyone because it robs us of their potential contributions to society and brings down everyone’s economic well-being as well. We end up having to support them rather than allowing them to feel the fulfillment self-reliance brings. A higher level of education in communities attracts competitive businesses and in turn more educated people, expanding the tax base, creating more opportunities for education, thus creating a virtuous cycle.