Global Warming: causes and effects

Posted July 8, 2011 no picture Brentcute20114

no picture Brentcute20114 View Profile

1. Global Warming Cause: Carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuel burning power plants

1. Global Warming Cause: Carbon dioxide emissions from burning gasoline for transportation

2. Global Warming Cause: Methane emissions from animals, agriculture such as rice paddies, and from Arctic seabeds

3. Global Warming Cause: Deforestation, especially tropical forests for wood, pulp, and farmland

4. Global Warming Cause: Increase in usage of chemical fertilizers on croplands

5. Global Warming Effect: Rise in sea levels worldwide

The greenhouse effect

When sunlight reaches Earth's surface some is absorbed and warms the earth and most of the rest is radiated back to the atmosphere at a longer wavelength than the sun light. Some of these longer wavelengths are absorbed by greenhouse gases in the atmosphere before they are lost to space. The absorption of this longwave radiant energy warms the atmosphere. These greenhouse gases act like a mirror and reflect back to the Earth some of the heat energy which would otherwise be lost to space. The reflecting back of heat energy by the atmosphere is called the "greenhouse effect".

The major natural greenhouse gases are water vapor, which causes about 36-70% of the greenhouse effect on Earth (not including clouds); carbon dioxide CO2, which causes 9-26%; methane, which causes 4-9%, and ozone, which causes 3-7%. It is not possible to state that a certain gas causes a certain percentage of the greenhouse effect, because the influences of the various gases are not additive. Other greenhouse gases include, but are not limited to, nitrous oxide, sulfur hexafluoride, hydrofluorocarbons, perfluorocarbons and chlorofluorocarbons.

1. Global Warming Effect: More killer storms

2. Global Warming Effect: Massive crop failures

3. Global Warming Effect: Widespread extinction of species

4. Global Warming Effect: Disappearance of coral reefs

Image by woodleywonderworks