Illegal Immigrants in America

Posted November 5, 2011 no picture

Many people believe that illegal immigrants are destroying our economy and taking our jobs, but in reality it is quite the opposite. Our already low economy would be even worse if it weren't for the immigrants because they do most of the jobs that Americans are too proud to do themselves. We do not realize how much they help us and that if the United States deported all of them our country would be in disarray. The 12 million immigrants per year, illegal or not, are mostly here to stay. In my Foreign Films class we just got finished watching a film called The Visitor. While the movie takes place in New York, it deals with immigration and the deportation of them. The movie follows a lonely man who finds purpose in life when he meets two illegal immigrants from Senegal and Syria. The immigrants help the man as he learns to live again. When the man from Syria is arrested for no reason other than he is illegal the lonely man tries to get the Syrian out of the detention center but is too late because he is deported back to Syria never to be seen again by the lonely man, his girlfriend from Senegal, and his family in the United States. Is it fair that he was ripped away from his life here after three years just because he was denied a green card? Is it fair to all the other immigrants who are just trying to make a better life for themselves and their families?