Illiteracy in Sub-Saharan Africa

Posted October 5, 2011 no picture Melissa Sikhosana

no picture Melissa Sikhosana View Profile

I just read a few statistics on a website about illiteracy in Sub-Saharan Africa and more specifically illiteracy in South Africa. Here are some of the statistics: 1. 45 million children in Sub-Saharan Africa do not attend school. 2. 5 million South Africans are completely illiterate. 3. Almost 80% of South African pupils have not developed basic reading skills by the time that they reach grade 5. 4. 75% of pupils (in South Africa) do not reach the lowest international benchmark set for literacy (www.help2read.org)

Wow after seeing those statistics I really want to help my community. I am thinking about a fundraiser to help the organization "help2read". They are really trying to help to improve on these statistics. I really hope that they can be turned around. Literacy opens numerous doors and without basic reading and writing skills I fear that the pupils and the country will not be able to move forward. By the way I'll make a post about the fundraiser after I get the "all clear" from my school and conduct it!