**International Charity - Calling for Young People aged 13 -16**

Posted September 22, 2011 no picture

Are YOU passionate about being heard?

Are YOU passionate about making a difference?

Are YOU passionate about helping the world?

If you’ve answered Yes to the above questions, and are aged 13-16, Plan UK’s Youth Advisory Panel may just be the group for you!

Plan is a Children’s charity that operates all over the world to help improve the lives of the world’s poorest children. We use a method called ‘Child Centred Community Development’ (CCCD in short!) which means that we work with children and their families to find out what they need in order to improve their lives and communities – to do so we utilise the power of communication and help plan projects around their needs.

Here in the UK, we have a ‘Youth Advisory Panel’ (YAP); a group of 15 young people aged 13-19 who represent the views and voices of young people all over the UK. YAP help to raise awareness of the issues that other young people and communities around the world face and feed this back to their peers and wider community. YAP are so important in that they provide a ‘youth lens’ to Plan’s work - which helps make it better, after all, we are young people, not them!

Being a YAP member provides you with some fantastic opportunities; YAP members have met several high profile people - from Government Ministers to Footballers, attended Denmark for COP15, Brussels for Green Week, spoken to the media to raise awareness, attended events at the U.N and devised a national campaign on the Millennium Development Goals (MDG’s)

In return, Plan support members through fun residential weekends - four times a year, which provide YAP members with a better understanding of the issues that face children and young people in developing countries and give them the opportunity to be heard and make a difference. At the moment, we are focusing on Plan’s ‘Because I am a Girl’ campaign (which aims to ensure equality for girls all over the world) ‘Children in a Changing Climate’ (which looks at how children and young people are coping with Climate Change) and our first national campaign ‘A Hand in My Future’.

So what you need to be able to do?

• Be able to commit to a minimum of 3 residential meetings per year (costs covered by Plan)

• Keep in regular contact with the group throughout the year via phone and email.

• Be enthusiastic and passionate about making a change.

• Be prepared to do work independently within your own community to raise awareness for development

For an application form contact Maggie Thomas on 0203 217 0612 or magdalene.thomas@plan-international.org

Have a look at the website: http://bit.ly/qfpxKl