Kite-Powered Electric Vehicle Drives Across Australia

Posted February 24, 2011 no picture

The world's first self-sufficient 'windmobile' is now en route across the Australian continent. The two developers and pilots Stefan Simmerer and Dirk Gion observe every day that the climate is changing. Severe forest fires near Perth, Western Australia, threaten whole villages and destroy roads. Two strong cyclones over Queensland suddenly change the wind conditions of a whole continent. And near Melbourne, Victoria, rivers burst their banks, causing floods, forcing the team to find alternative routes. These are the effects of man-made climate change.

The “Wind Explorer” team’s journey is a pioneering achievement. It shows how self-sufficient and environmentally sound transport can be today. We only have to use the already existing technology. Get rid of meta and gasoline in car production! And instead use light-weight construction material and Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries. The wind explorer only uses a fraction of the energy of the most efficient cars with combustion engine of today. That’s what the pioneering tour demonstrates.

The Wind Explorer is a lightweight electrically-, wind- and kite-powered vehicle all in one. It might seem futuristic, but it's here and in service right now. With extreme efficiency, the Wind Explorer combines technologies that are available today, but neither sensibly nor fully utilized.

http://www.wind-explorer.com/index.php/project-en