Personhood

Posted November 9, 2011 no picture

Personhood is a movement on a mission to "respect the God-given right to life by recognizing all human beings as persons who are 'created in the image of God' from the beginning of their biological development, without exceptions." It is an extremely Christian affiliated cause. And if you recognize all human beings created in the image of God-- that does apply to human beings, right?-- from the beginning of their biological development, one must "protect every child"-- or zygote, embryo, and fetus-- "by love and by law." Every fertilized egg out there just became a human being with full legal rights. Just today voters in Mississippi cast ballots for a personhood amendment. It defines personhood as, "every human being from the moment of fertilization, cloning, or the functional equivalent thereof." The implications? No abortion, and some forms of birth-control would no longer be legal. No morning-after pill-- or any other birth control that destroys fertilized eggs. No vitro-fertilization.

I know this is a very controversial subject, with strong implications no matter the side you stand. Personally, I find this to be horrifying. If this is where our nation is headed-- our personal freedoms being decided by the political interests of a majority religion-- then I can no longer praise the progress of America, but remorse over our retrogressive ideologies. America has tolerated so many horrible practices, and through time, repealed them. Not all, but many. They are a shame to our nation; horrible times and choices in our history we would love to do away with. If this law passes, I feel it will get in line behind all our other regrettable mistakes. I find it insulting that one religion's faith and practice should even have a chance to stand in the way of my political rights.

What do you think?