Revealing Potential through ICT

Posted June 5, 2012 Avatar Saurav Raj Pant

Avatar Saurav Raj Pant View Profile

21st century is the age of globalization which prominently developing a concept of multiculturalism and global village. Globalization based on the power of politics and economy- the ultimate power that is able to divide and unite the scenario according to the International Relations. However, the influence of globalization on culture and influence of culture on globalization is still the subject of controversy. Culture, identity and conflict of the modern world primarily influenced by globalization that gave birth to the more complicated distribution culture to the community probably the best forms of cultural modernization. Is modernization and globalization having lineage? Globalization, which probably have the solid interconnection to indirect colonialism and economic inequality often raises question about its sustainability. In a globalize world, it has become easier to form and express opinions on global issues based on the abundance of information and the convenience of communication. Is world is developing in new order? Emergence of financial markets giving the rise of multi-national companies and product embed by them creating huge employment to boost economy. Is not the Multinational products like Mc Donald’s, Coca-cola, Apple, Sony, Toyota etc. are trying to unite under one globally binding chain known as “ multi-culture” ?

In the Global South, many youths are out of the basic rights and services, which have, make them remain under the vicious circle of unemployment leading to the poverty. This has challenged to achieve the Millennium Development Goal (MDGs) of United Nations. In the developing world, youth have generally minimal jobs demand which continuously decreasing the social safety nets resulting them to survive in any form of work. This has led youth to engage in criminal offence. Based on this, United Nations Human Settlements Program (Habitat) recognizes the engagement of youth in productive employment is an important component to achieve cities safer from crime.

In Nepal, the process of the democratization has suffered huge political difficulties where the spirit of Human Rights, freedom of expression, Gender equality has all been the hot political debate. Backward communities have always been inaccessible to the mainstream flow of democratization inNepalbut it has been observed elite group has always been the mainstream of politics.

Use of Information Technology has helped to achieve major outcomes in the political graph of the world which has eased hugely up to the increasing the citizens awareness level. Truly, from Global south to Global North a change is happening, whether it is notably known as Arab Spring movement in the originating from Tunisia or perceived mismanagement of economies consequently raising high unemployment rate which affected mostly the youth causing the ‘Occupy Wall Street’ movement in United States, or Anna Hazare’s anti-corruption movement in India. All are harnessing the advantage Information Technology with virtual demonstrations from social networking sites to electronic news media updating it 24/7. The contribution of the citizens in bringing change to the existing political structures, societal practices and culture has been immense through the medium of Technology.

Empower and advocacy through Internet now have been globally accepted modules of learning and acting for change. Prioritizing the effective participation would be fruitful and helps to engage and inquire about backward communities and their lives, hopes and aspiration, which can helps to develop the bridge between the learners and mentors to build up the skills, training and programs that can help youth adequately to address the needs of people. Engaging citizen in the policy making through ICT have been developing powerful tool and are making significant efforts in bringing administration online as well as facilitating the people to enjoy the equal rights of participation in the public sphere as well as bringing people in policy making level.

All OECD countries must have to benefit hugely from the new information and communication Technology and must improve its quality time to time. Many experts believe there is great potential of ICT for emerging Information societies to unlock the potential of ICT.