Supporting Equality

Posted November 10, 2011 no picture Maura Kampa

no picture Maura Kampa View Profile

As of the recent years, I have been seeing cars all around Austin with the Human Rights Campaign bumper stickers. (If you don't recall what I'm talking about, they are the small blue square bumper stickers with the simple yellow equals sign on it, look at image) These bumpers stickers represent the mission of equality for all, mainly focusing on the LGBTQ community.

Recently I was driving with someone in my car and I said "Ah i really want one of those bumper stickers" upon seeing what sticker I was talking about, my passenger quickly retorted "Maura, those are only if you are gay." I was dumb founded. Yes, I myself am not gay, but I have family members and friends who are a part of the LGBTQ community. Those bumper stickers aren't just something that shoves you out of the closet every-time you drive, but a visual to show your support and love to those in the community.

In my mind I know the person who said that comment to me is also a supporter of equality, it was just a quick judgement on their part that I took very personally. To me no one, no matter their sexual orientation, race, religion, gender or any other qualification of them, should ever be restricted to participate. This time it was seemed merely to be over a bumper-sticker, but really it was about showing support.

If putting one of these stickers on my car means that I be perceived as a Lesbian, so what? I am proud to support a community and organization like HRC, and no peer pressure could stop me from wanting to give my complete support.