The Conflict in Libya Continues

Posted April 18, 2011 User_image_bg Sergeyevich

The situation in Libya remains volatile. UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said today that the UN agreed with the government of Muammar Qaddafi to provide humanitarian aid in the capital, Tripoli. A Libyan spokesman added that the deal also provides for a corridor of safe passage for aid to the embattled city of Misrata.

It’s been a month since the U.N. Security Council passed a resolution protecting civilians in Libya, but Muammar Qaddafi continues attacks, especially in Misrata, where humanitarian situation is especially dire and Ajdabiya, which anti-Qaddafi forces had hoped to use as a staging ground to retake the key oil refinery town of Brega. Rebel leaders complained of a lack of NATO airstrikes against Qaddafi forces in recent days.

UNICEF called for immediate end to the siege of Misrata, you can read the whole statement here

In an interview with the Washington Post, the leader's son, Saif al-Qaddafi, rejected the notion that government forces were attacking civilians. “We want the Americans tomorrow to send a fact-finding mission to find out what happened in Libya. We want Human Rights Watch to come here and to find out exactly what happened,” he said. “We are not afraid of the International Criminal Court. We are confident and sure that we didn’t commit any crime against our people."

UNICEF voiced concerns about how hostilities in Libya affect children “The current fighting in Libya is putting children at high risk,” said Shahida Azfar, UNICEF Regional Director for the Middle East and North Africa. “Their right to education, play, health and even survival are under serious threat.”