The Effects of Climate Change on Achieving Universal Basic Education in Africa

Posted August 10, 2011 Avatar Ugwuja George Odinakachi

Avatar Ugwuja George Odinakachi View Profile

As an African youth, I have been very much involved with in one of the United Nation’s Global Project “ACHIEVING UNIVERSAL BASIC EDUCATION”. I am excited about the mission because it is supposed to enhance the development of African continent. Without the achievement of Education for all in Africa, our plight for science and technology, medicine, philosophy and economics can never be achieved.

Earlier this year, I launched a research with other youth leaders across the globe to investigate the limitations we have towards achieving universal basic education and I discovered that here in Africa, one of those challenges are the effects of climate change. On a blog post that I published on the 12th of January 2011, titled CLIMATE CHANGE IN NIGERIA, I pleaded to the government to initiate an adaptation plan, government capacity, to tap into international climate financing mechanisms, and public awareness of the risks, but as time passed by, I discovered that I should start this change that I dream for Africa, with my state of mind as a youth that believes in continental unity, I urge every African, to start initiating positive adaptation plans in any part of the continent you find your self. The government and his people are one.

The standard of education in Africa is affected by desertification and drought that occur in the north, and its opposing monster that I called coastal erosion and flood.

Every day we watch our television, we see how thousands of African children suffer hunger because of draught, and their frame of mind has been turned out from achieving a basic primary education towards struggle for survival. When you turn to the other part of your channel, you see how overgrazing, abuse of woodland for fuel and increasingly unreliable rainfall is threatening the other coasts of Africa. Here in Nigeria, Half of the population of the city of Lagos lives less than six feet above sea level, including the wealthiest areas of Victoria Island.

I am not here to recount figures of our lost Africa, but to tell you that our children are no longer consistent in school. Some of their school blocks has been destroyed by the wind because the protective mangroves of their coastline has been largely lost to human intervention.

My fellow youths and people of Africa, we must initiate an entrepreneurial adaptation Strategy and Plan of Action. Instead of counting losses from the impact of this phenomenon, we would rather have a personal consciousness of our situation and develop appropriate technology to cope with effects of climate change.

There has to be more efforts and policies towards adaptation, special areas of mitigation, technology and clean energy for industrialization. We need to do what is within our means, while at the same time look forward to what the West will offer. Let us carefully combat the return of Sahara and the bully gully. Thank you.