The Music Industry

Posted November 11, 2011 no picture Tessa Clabby

no picture Tessa Clabby View Profile

When the only way to get free music was to steal it, it didn't seem like such a terrible crime. After all, that was how to listen to music. In that kind of mindset, it doesn't make much sense to pay for a CD copy of your favorite tunes that you can conveniently stream to your computer from your couch. It wasn't just Americans either; this was a global question concerning all cultures and people of all styles. Music, after all, is applicable to anyone and everyone.

Now we have not just music free illegally and legal music with a price, but legal music free. As convenient as that is for many listeners, not everyone is happy with this compromise. The accessibility we have to music removes major corporations from the equation- and therefore, their business aim. We are the customers of ourselves; and now it'll be harder for businesses to redirect ourselves to a step-down from the current disposition of music. But money is power, and those with money have the power to change the way we stream our favorites. Although I have no way of knowing the future of the subject, looking at history displays a theme of the few head dogs ruling everything for the rest. The idea is scary, but it's a realistic view on the way our world tends to revert to in sticky situations.

As a music-obsessor, I hope "they" don't put a price on the universal language of song, at least permanently. I have been using a website called Spotify, which allows individuals to create playlists composed of the genre of interest and listen, free and legal. It also provides the opportunity to share songs with friends, which unites people over music; a beautiful harmony of song and relationship building. I sincerely hope the music industry doesn't collapse, bringing me with it.