The Truth about Illegal Immigration

Posted November 10, 2011 no picture

Look Out—It’s an Alien Invasion

Welcome to the United States of America. Unfortunately for many, our tolerance for undocumented immigration ended long ago, when pioneers were still pushing the frontier to the West. But what are some of the effects that both legal and illegal immigration have on a home country (ex. Mexico). What about the host country (ex. United States)? Is it fair for illegal aliens to capitalize on governmental aid that is provided by legitimate citizens? The effect of mass immigration is, in many circumstances, damaging to both the host country and the home country. Experts estimate that over nine million illegal aliens migrated to the United States from Mexico and Latin America alone in the year 2007. Immigration of this caliber jeopardizes the culture, economy, and safety of the citizens of the United States. Therefore, it is in our best interest to restrict the immigration of unskilled workers, and to allocate more money towards securing our borders.

One of the most significant effects that illegal immigration has on the homeland is known as brain drain. The theory operates on the assumption that people, under normal circumstances, will migrate to more developed countries that boast greater opportunity, personal freedom, and security. It states that if the brightest minds from LCDs (less developed countries) migrate to MDCs (more developed countries), then the resulting lack of mental capacity in the LCD will stall its development, while the MDC will continue to flourish. Therefore, it is in Mexico’s own interest that they motivate their brightest citizens to stay put. However, given that intelligent people gravitate towards MDCs, it would be difficult to accumulate sufficient bright minds to lift Mexico out of the Stone Age. And that’s where the United States comes in. By restricting Mexico’s increasing dependence on the United States (i.e. restricting illegal immigration), we will be able to actually assist Mexico in their quest to self-innovate.

But how is the United States affected by Mexico’s mass invasion? “Illegal alien workers may increase profits for employers, but they are costly to the American taxpayer. Most illegal aliens have low educational attainment, few skills, and they work for low wages, often in the underground economy where they pay no taxes on their earnings...” stated the Federation for American Immigration Reform. Why should anyone, including illegal immigrants, have access to free health care, education, food stamps, and other social services that they did not pay for? It is morally outrageous to force American taxpayers to fund amenities for illegal workers. And at what cost to our national security does this labor come? Illegal immigrants often avoid attaining legal citizenship in order to violate laws, avoid paying taxes, and gain the benefits & rights of the United States without bearing the burden of paying the taxes that fund our infrastructure. According to the US Bureau of Justice Statistics, “criminal aliens account for over 29% of prisoners in Federal Bureau of Prisons facilities and a higher share of all federal prison inmates. These prisoners represent the fastest growing segment of the federal prison population. Incarceration of criminal aliens cost an estimated $624 million to state prisons (1999) and $891 million to federal prisons (2002).” CNN stated that “The illegal aliens in the United States have a crime rate that's two-and-a-half times that of white non-illegal aliens. In particular, their children are going to make a huge additional crime problem in the US.” I find these statistics startling. Many illegal immigrants do not know how to speak English. Add the fact that in 2006 illegal aliens sent $45 billion back to their home countries, and the economic benefits of unskilled illegal aliens pale in comparison to their negative effects on American society.

Another point of view, which has not yet been analyzed, is the affect of illegal immigration on the immigrants themselves. Immigrants are often misled to believe that undocumented migration can prove to be beneficial, when in reality they are subjecting themselves to unnecessary racism and exploitation. In many instances, they are forced into unsafe working conditions, or coerced into performing immoral activities by threat of deportation. Furthermore, the act of getting from Mexico to the United States through evasion of border guards is highly risky, and involves traveling deserted terrain with criminals known as coyotes. These criminals would gladly slit their customers' throats for a Klondike bar once they have been compensated. All this to avoid legal entry to the United States is foolish, especially when one considers all of the possible negative repercussions.

Despite the negative effects illegal immigration has on the United States, Mexico, and the migrants themselves, the United States Federal Government still continues to ignore the issue of illegal immigration. This is partially because some political candidates are dependant upon the Hispanic vote. The federal government has already shown its opposition to border control when it bashed Arizona's SB1070 law which only mirrors what is already in the federal law. The federal government has even proposed the addition of dance classes, movie nights, and computer training to criminal detainees, all on taxpayer's dime. The indifference of the federal government to this issue is very alarming.

In conclusion, it would be logical for the United States to foster legal immigration by streamlining the immigration process for those who crave the American dream, and making it drastically harder for those who seek to exploit it. Refusing to offer social services to illegal aliens, and reevaluating our priorities as American citizens can help us to accomplish these goals. It is imperative for us to secure our borders from unauthorized immigrants, and to facilitate fair naturalization laws. As a general rule of thumb, candidates for citizenship should be able to speak the English language with some level of fluency and recognize the principles upon which our country was founded—hard work, personal freedom, and our inalienable rights. Case closed.

Sources: -Lou Dobbs Tonight; June 12, 2006 -US Bureau of justice statistics -Federation for American Immigration Reform -CIA World Factbook
-www.americanthinker.com