The World of Plenty

Posted February 24, 2011 no picture Sergeyevich

no picture Sergeyevich View Profile

We get so used to our comfortable circumstances that we sometimes forget what it's like not to have access to things we take for granted.

We keep complaining about not being able to buy a new phone, a new computer, rent a larger apartment or go to nicer restaurants. But there are millions of people in the world who would be happy to have a roof above their heads and a hot meal. People who have never tried chocolate, who can't afford to go to school and therefore don't have any good career prospects.

So instead of dreaming of fancy clothes or the latest model of the hottest gadget let's dream about the world where everyone has means to lead a full and satisfying life. World where people are not needy or hungry anymore. Let's think of the ways to make this dream come true!

People live in and around the Duékoué Catholic Mission, in the western town of Duékoué. Nearly 7,000 displaced people have been living at the mission since post-election violence reached the town in early January. © UNICEF/NYHQ2011-0158/Olivier Asselin