There is reason for them to hate school...

Posted August 2, 2011 Avatar Mutagubya Nelson

Avatar Mutagubya Nelson View Profile

Despite the improving standards of living, and improvement in the education sector in Uganda, many learners have distanced themselves from school. There are many reasons to explain the cause to this case. There are both government and private institutions in Uganda. In the early 1990s, the government realized the high rate of illiteracy and introduced Universal Primary Education (UPE) and later in 2009 Universal Secondary Education (USE) was introduced.

For one to get involved in the education of a child in Uganda, it would last up to about 20 years. These 20 years of education can be divided into various stages which include the following; pre-primary stage 3 years, primary stage 7 years secondary stage which includes ordinary level 4 years and advanced level 2 years and the tertiary stage which ranges from 1-6 years depending on the course one is to offer.

Although the government has taken up various efforts to keep children in school by provide free education, learners have however restrained themselves from school. Free government education requires parents to only provide stationery and lunch to the learner. The saying that “the ears of an African children are at their butt”, has continued to exist on the lips of teachers in Uganda.

Private schools continue to exist because of either academic results or modern facilities like; swimming pools, internet, and the like. Schools that continue to exist because of academic results will do whatever it takes to achieve the best results at the end of each academic year. Each year is divided into three terms. In most cases, students will be required to stay at school in order to cope up with the tight school program which lasts up to 3 months per term. This makes the entire system boring and hectic. Why would one stay in such a system, so unfair that the feeding is monotonous.

The modern society that provides all chances to the youth to make quick money and this has also encouraged them to drop out of school in order to get quick money. It would take a lot to keep an African child in school with the improving standards of living, technology and lifestyle.