UN Secretary General: Ban Ki-Moon

Posted July 16, 2011 no picture Hoyeon Lee

no picture Hoyeon Lee View Profile

A Modern Day hero is someone who can stand up for his or her moral beliefs and continuously proceed to attain that goal. A great example of the hero is Mr. Ban Ki-Moon, the current secretary-general of the United Nations, who was recently relected to serve another term. His focus during the past three years has not only been geared toward accomplishing Millenium Goals such as literacy and women's rights, but also implementing the Junior Profession Officer (JPO) program.

This program gives college-graduates (once they are selected) all around the world an opportunity to work at the United Nations. The secretary-general endorsed this program since his inauguration to provide youth the opportunity to contribute to solving and analyzing world problems. He recognized the need for youth to interact and communicate with all generations and helped implement this program within the United Nations. This is why he can be considered a great modern hero who can connect with future leaders of the world.

Photo: © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-1925/David Berkwitz United Nations Headquarters, 2010 On 22 September, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon speaks at the panel discussion ‘Addressing the Global Water and Sanitation Challenge’, at UNHQ.