Urgent Food Aid Needed in North Korea

Posted March 25, 2011 no picture

WASHINGTON — The United Nations reported Thursday that more than 6 million North Koreans, about a quarter of the communist state's population – are in urgent need of international food aid. The findings, the result of a needs assessment conducted in February and March, will add to pressure for the United States to resume food aid to North Korea suspended in 2009 after its monitors were expelled. But doing so could be seen as aiding a government that has since advanced its nuclear weapons programs and is accused of twice attacking U.S. ally South Korea. In its report, the result of an assessment conducted in February and March, the U.N. said that North Korea has suffered a series of shocks including summer floods and then a harsh winter, "leaving the country highly vulnerable to a food crisis." It said the worst affected include children, women and the elderly, and recommended providing 430,000 metric tons (475,000 tons) of food aid.

Source: Matthew Pennington, Associate Press (Article on Hu...

WASHINGTON — The United Nations reported Thursday that more than 6 million North Koreans, about a quarter of the communist state's population – are in urgent need of international food aid.

The findings, the result of a needs assessment conducted in February and March, will add to pressure for the United States to resume food aid to North Korea suspended in 2009 after its monitors were expelled. But doing so could be seen as aiding a government that has since advanced its nuclear weapons programs and is accused of twice attacking U.S. ally South Korea.

In its report, the result of an assessment conducted in February and March, the U.N. said that North Korea has suffered a series of shocks including summer floods and then a harsh winter, "leaving the country highly vulnerable to a food crisis."

It said the worst affected include children, women and the elderly, and recommended providing 430,000 metric tons (475,000 tons) of food aid.

Source: <Matthew Pennington, Associate Press (Article on Huffington Post)>

While the world is focused on the Middle East protests and corrupt leaders who refuse to cede power, millions of children in North Korea are in urgent need of food. The famously oppressive regime of Kim Jong Il does not often let in aid agencies to assess the country. The recent assessment that took place shows the vast need of the North Korean people. The question is...should governments provide aid to this extremely oppressive state? I believe that regardless of the regime, if people are starving then other nations should give aid, even at the risk of the people not getting everything they need.

Click here for the full article