What do the children about WATER..?

Avatar Maria Eugenia Rinaudo

Clean water and adequate sanitation are essential to the growth of children. In many blog posts the current situation about the water i.e. how we use it, pollution, and the relation between the epistemological field (religion and moral admission) is addressed. In this blog post I want to express my interest in this topic by demonstrating the importance of children's views on all issues of life. Children are the most humble and innocent beings that exist in the world. Without them, what would the world look like?

The issue of water is a highly important topic when talking about children. In many parts of the world there are entire villages that do not have access to clean water, thus affecting the villagers’ way of life. Many times, the growth of the children of these villages is affected as unclean water can lead to issues related to malnutrition.

I would now like to illustrate some examples of children’s views regarding water. What is water to them? Is it important or not? According to UNICEF, the problems related between sanitation and water can be damaging to the education and health of these children. Also, because children's bodies are less developed than adults, and therefore are less prepared to resist disease, the health of children is always at a higher risk of danger with respect to water related diseases. Also, children breathe more air, drink more water, and eat more food, than adults do (at least in proportion to their weight). This means that they are at risk of eating a greater dose of pollutants.

In many parts of the world the water situation is like nothing we in the Western world could ever imagine. The sad part is that in poor countries, where water sanitation is a low priority, children actually become accustomed to suffering from lack of water. A source of fresh water, even if only half clean, becomes an important necessity for survival. Very few children actually know what fresh water is. The other half who do know of fresh water have only a very limited access to it and are usually only able to get it at certain times of the day.

In contrast, children in the Western world are able to enjoy fresh water all of the time. For them water is not a luxury. It is used not just for drinking but also for every day uses as well as fun. For example water is used in many theme parks and swimming pools. It is also used for actions such as bathing or brushing one’s teeth. Because of this reality and stark difference between the two worlds, it appears that the issue of water and children is more complex than we thought.

In an effort to combat this global crisis and be able to give children the right to fresh and clean drinking water, UNICEF has, for many years, been putting together projects that aim at making clean water more accessible in impoverished countries.

Finally, I wanted to share with you all some comments about this issue. These are essentials when thinking about how important water is to all life forms, especially children that are growing and need high sources of nutrients and healthy lifestyles:

• Clean water and adequate sanitation are essential in order to promote healthy growth in children.

• Children are highly vulnerable to diseases, and when consuming contaminated water from rivers or lakes the likelihood of getting a disease like cholera or dengue is high.

• Water shortages are one of the main reasons why children in developing countries are unable to get a proper education.

• More than 60% of the children on earth are living in poor areas that do not have access to clean drinking water.

Picture posted by user Maria Eugenia Rinaudo