"You and Me, What We Can and Will Do"

Posted March 17, 2011 Avatar

EFA Global Monitoring Report The hidden crisis: Armed conflict and education

Death and gunshots are not the only things we should be concerned about when we discuss the effects of conflict. When war happens we often think about death, damages and how to end the war, but do we forget about long-term damages and long-term solutions?

At Columbia University on Tuesday, March 1st in New York, United States the Education for All Global Monitoring Report was launched. The hidden crisis: Armed conflict and education was the theme for 2011, and the report is another one focusing on the damages left behind by conflicts. The speakers discussed about the high rate of education being taken away from youth because of conflicts, and the economic crisis that also relate to conflicts. Key fact: 28 million primary school age children are out of school in 35 countries. For a summary of the report and the launch you can visit http://www.unesco.org/new/en/education/themes/leading-the-international-agenda/efareport/reports/2011-conflict/

The launch was opened with a short video that takes place in three countries: Columbia, Chile and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). It is a message telling testimonies of young children who witnessed the tragic impact of violence and armed conflict on their families. A young girl from DRC said she wants to become a doctor - I immediately looked at myself, I do not know what I want to achieve and why I want it but I do have opportunities to do anything to educate myself. She was my age-perhaps, while I have the right but why she can not have the right be the educated?

Attending this event was another great experience for me to hear great leaders in our world stand up and talk for us, fighting for us. Nevertheless, I still have unclear questions in my mind. We are youth, who are affected by conflicts and/or related crises that some adults established. We have the right and duty to help solving the problems and secure our rights, but what are the available channels for us to be part of solution? Every day we see numbers, graphs and statistics from reports, media and adults but where are the recommendations, effective resolutions and/or examples that adults can establish for us to follow in reality? Would it not be nice if we can have conversations to discuss with our governments and exchange what “You and Me”, we can and will do?

As a young person I would like to encourage adults and my peers to look around and think about what we can do to help solve problems and stop adults from creating them. Education for All Global Monitoring Report The hidden crisis: Armed conflict and education, is another tool for us to learn what has been wrong in the past and will affect our future. Also, I really anticipate that one day everyone will understand the principle of using education to solve problem and youth will have more roles in solving these problems.

And my question that goes to you is what you do you think we as a group of adolescents who want to change the pattern of crisis should do to make our government keep their promise and save our fellow friends from the damages?