Youth of the World, Cote d'Ivoire needs You

Posted March 15, 2011 no picture

Dear Youth of the World,

Many a time we hear the slogan "Never Again" and shudder at the thought of what this phrase implies. Why is it that everytime a mass atrocity occurs (usually in the developing world), the rest of the world sits back and watches as fellow human beings are slaughtered? We saw it happen during the Holocaust, then the 1994 Rwandan genocide followed suit, and now the ongoing situation in Darfur and the Democratic Republic of Congo is a fantastic illustration that history indeed does have a tendency to repeat itself.

When will we as the next generation proclaim; enough is enough, and react? This is your chance to make a difference.

Currently in Cote d'Ivoire:

1. Approximately half a milliion people have fled the fighting in Abidjan (UN)

2. Water and Electricity Supplies have been cut off in half of the nation (BBC)

3. Hundreds of families without food have been prevented from leaving the violence- hit suburbs of Abidjan (UNCHR)

4. Today, more than 400 people were killed since the beginning of the conflict (CNN)

What can you do?

1. Join the Facebook page Free Cote d'Ivoire and help spread the word

2. Spread awareness within your respective network (school,NGO,ect) by holding events centered on exposing young people to the current plight of the people of Cote d'Ivoire

3. Reach out to your legislators and community leaders and ask them to place this situation on their agendas

4. Join us in a peaceful rally to help raise awareness about the situation in Cote d'Ivoire

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions on how to begin your involvement. Any assistance or awareness raising on your part will be greatly appreciated. Together we can "be the change we want to see in the world"

Free Cote d’Ivoire

freecotedivoire@gmail.com

http://www.facebook.com/freecotedivoirenow