Education: The Big Picture

An Ivorian refugee child reads from a chalkboard at a school in the town of Douplay, in Nimba County.

© UNICEF/NYHQ2011-0025/Frederic Sautereau

Why can’t every child go to school?

Every girl and boy has the right to a good education, but millions of children and young people miss out. Education isn’t just about finding a job. When one is educated one is more likely to be aware of his/her rights, and better able to make sure that those rights are respected. Education gives people choices-- and the confidence to take advantage of those choices.

Education is important not just for the individual, but also for members of the individual’s community. For example, a student can share what she has learned about staying healthy with her family. She can teach her friends about safety issues. She’ll be in a better position to be an active, participating member of her community and may even convince someone of the value of an education for every child. She’ll also be exercising her right to education, which is a right defined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Some of the reasons why so many children might not be able to attend school include:

• Poverty: Families may have difficulty affording school fees or the cost of uniforms, or may need and children to work to contribute to the family income.
  • Safety: Families may keep their children at home if they feel the journey to school is too long or that it's dangerous to walk to school alone. They may also be worried about bullying, sexual harassment or violence, especially for girls.
  • Local traditions: In some countries, families place more emphasis on the education of boys, and may not believe it is important to send their daughters to school. Girls may also be forced to marry young, drop out of school, and dedicate themselves to housework.
  • Emergencies: Conflicts, economic crises and natural disasters prevent millions of children around the world from getting an education.

Other forms of education

Most often we think of schools when we think about education, but learning happens in other ways too:

• Non-formal education involves learning via organized activities outside of school. For example, teens learn organizational and leadership skills by volunteering in their community or being part of a youth organization.
  • Informal education happens while talking to friends or parents. For example, one can learn important life skills such as how to prevent HIV by discussing it with friends.

Children's Hackathon: innovation shapes children's lives

We can no longer turn a blind eye to a viral disease breaking out in distant West Africa; we can n...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/alex-fm-young-reporters/bigger-than-life-education-2

THE IMPORTANCE OF EDUCATION

THE YOUTH IN ALEXANDRA TOWNSHIP WERE ADDRESSING CHALLENGES ABOUT EDUCATION

http://imgur.com/h6PAQWu.jpg

Source: http://imgur.com/h6PAQWu

Counting sheep in Afghanistan: teaching video skills in a remote villa...

We travelled to the Ahangaran Valley in the Bamyan province of central Afghanistan to work with lo...

INTERNET SAFETY AND PROTECTION

The Internet can be a wonderful resource for children. They can use it to research school reports, communicate with teachers and other kids, and play interactive games. Children who are old enough to punch in a few letters on the keyboard can literally access the world - but that access can...

Scholarships play a vital role in education

Taking a walk down the streets of Yaounde, the capital city of Cameroon, I overheard two young peo...

Braving workplace harassment: snowballing to a better world

Recently, I was invited to lead a seminar designed to introduce students at Polytechnic Institute...

Achieving Food Security in Times of Crisis

We observed “International Food Day” on 16th October. This year theme of the day was “Family Farming – Feeding the World, Caring the Earth”. Family farming helps in achieving food security by eradicating hunger, improving livelihoods, achieving sustainability etc. In this moder...

Be Motivated

As I sat on my chair this afternoon faced up with one of my hands on my cheek and leg crossed, I beg...

THE ONLY WAY OUT OF POVERTY IS……

As a student and youth advocate in my country Cameroon, I took a recent trip in the Northern part...

An ODE to College Life

College life and those years, those friends, the places we hung out were a “golden period” in my...