Education: The Big Picture

An Ivorian refugee child reads from a chalkboard at a school in the town of Douplay, in Nimba County.

© UNICEF/NYHQ2011-0025/Frederic Sautereau

Why can’t every child go to school?

Every girl and boy has the right to a good education, but millions of children and young people miss out. Education isn’t just about finding a job. When one is educated one is more likely to be aware of his/her rights, and better able to make sure that those rights are respected. Education gives people choices-- and the confidence to take advantage of those choices.

Education is important not just for the individual, but also for members of the individual’s community. For example, a student can share what she has learned about staying healthy with her family. She can teach her friends about safety issues. She’ll be in a better position to be an active, participating member of her community and may even convince someone of the value of an education for every child. She’ll also be exercising her right to education, which is a right defined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Some of the reasons why so many children might not be able to attend school include:

• Poverty: Families may have difficulty affording school fees or the cost of uniforms, or may need and children to work to contribute to the family income.
  • Safety: Families may keep their children at home if they feel the journey to school is too long or that it's dangerous to walk to school alone. They may also be worried about bullying, sexual harassment or violence, especially for girls.
  • Local traditions: In some countries, families place more emphasis on the education of boys, and may not believe it is important to send their daughters to school. Girls may also be forced to marry young, drop out of school, and dedicate themselves to housework.
  • Emergencies: Conflicts, economic crises and natural disasters prevent millions of children around the world from getting an education.

Other forms of education

Most often we think of schools when we think about education, but learning happens in other ways too:

• Non-formal education involves learning via organized activities outside of school. For example, teens learn organizational and leadership skills by volunteering in their community or being part of a youth organization.
  • Informal education happens while talking to friends or parents. For example, one can learn important life skills such as how to prevent HIV by discussing it with friends.

A State of Mind During Exam Time

Yesterday I took a pen & paper to write an exciting & informative article about some global issues which I intended to post in VOY blogging page but lot of topics mingled in my mind & finally I decided not to write about them & instead to write about my own state of mind duri...

Challenged by fear of the unkown

Your name: Brighton Mukupa Kaoma Your age: 20 Where are you originally from and where do you...

The Results and a confession.

So...My results were announced on Wednesday. I woke up really early, since I was so nervous & curious to find out if I made it. But, deep down, I had a feeling that I didn't pass to the university I had as a second choice, after journalism. But what I would see was the last thing I could...

My Conclusion-What matters most to youth?

If you are wondering what I am concluding, kindly check the first two posts here and here. It is great to know that our youth know what changes to expect and demand from our leaders for the benefit of society and national prosperity. After listening and interacting with many young people...

Your Health; Your Responsibility

The theme in the Seychelles for health is “your health, your responsibility.” The health care system in the Seychelles caters for access to health care for everyone. The largest proportion of the government’s budget is given to the Ministry of Health to cater for the health care of the...

Is smoking fair?

This week im doing something a bit different, I'm going to write a poem, I decided to write a poem...

What is Money to You(th) 2?

What ever preconception you have about money, you must be aware that the winds of circumstance blo...

Climate Thought

A savage is not the one who live in the forest, but the one who destroys it... To change everythin...

That's it!

First of all, congratulations for all of you. This article is for all the youth voices around the world! :) You are what you want to be! Nothing can stop you, scare and make you change your goals. Sometimes, you feel invincible and infinite. You have ideas and you make your own ide...

Waiting for the results.

Wednesday (08/28) This is going to be a stressful day for all the high school students who took part in National Exams of Greece. On this day, the results will be announced & all candidates will see if they succedded and what options they have. All of us have studied a lot, to get th...