Education: The Big Picture

An Ivorian refugee child reads from a chalkboard at a school in the town of Douplay, in Nimba County.

© UNICEF/NYHQ2011-0025/Frederic Sautereau

Why can’t every child go to school?

Every girl and boy has the right to a good education, but millions of children and young people miss out. Education isn’t just about finding a job. When one is educated one is more likely to be aware of his/her rights, and better able to make sure that those rights are respected. Education gives people choices-- and the confidence to take advantage of those choices.

Education is important not just for the individual, but also for members of the individual’s community. For example, a student can share what she has learned about staying healthy with her family. She can teach her friends about safety issues. She’ll be in a better position to be an active, participating member of her community and may even convince someone of the value of an education for every child. She’ll also be exercising her right to education, which is a right defined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Some of the reasons why so many children might not be able to attend school include:

• Poverty: Families may have difficulty affording school fees or the cost of uniforms, or may need and children to work to contribute to the family income.
  • Safety: Families may keep their children at home if they feel the journey to school is too long or that it's dangerous to walk to school alone. They may also be worried about bullying, sexual harassment or violence, especially for girls.
  • Local traditions: In some countries, families place more emphasis on the education of boys, and may not believe it is important to send their daughters to school. Girls may also be forced to marry young, drop out of school, and dedicate themselves to housework.
  • Emergencies: Conflicts, economic crises and natural disasters prevent millions of children around the world from getting an education.

Other forms of education

Most often we think of schools when we think about education, but learning happens in other ways too:

• Non-formal education involves learning via organized activities outside of school. For example, teens learn organizational and leadership skills by volunteering in their community or being part of a youth organization.
  • Informal education happens while talking to friends or parents. For example, one can learn important life skills such as how to prevent HIV by discussing it with friends.

7th International Conference on Youth and Interfaith Dialogue

The Theme of the 7th International Conference on Youth and Interfaith Dialogue (http://www.interfa...

BLACK DAY IN PESHAWAR- A GLOBAL CONCERN

It was such a gory sight when at about 11am on 16th December 2014,a group of Taliban gunmen made t...

Voices of Youth Inspire! "Use Music for A Good Cause"

“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to...

Restoring the hope of slum children through education

Right in the heart of Korogocho slum,one of the largest slums in Nariobi,Kenya sits a small comple...

Child Labor in India

Did you know that India has the largest amount of child laborers in the world? Human Rights Watch states, “More children in India work than anywhere else in the world”. There are 100-150 million children from ages 5 to 14 working, and nearly half of those children (at least 44 million) a...

Child Labor in China

Did you know that according to the China Labour Bulletin, in 2000, there were approximately 11,575,000 children at work between the ages of 10 to 14 in China? This violates article 32 of the Convention of Rights of The Child, which states, “You have the right to protection from work that h...

Child Labor In Indonesia

In Indonesia there are 3.2 million children working, doing the worst kinds of labor. The Indonesian government has done little to tackle this problem. They have set up laws that say all children must finish high school but many families lack the money to do so. The children decide to go to w...

Do girls achieve better than boys in education due to their cultural s...

Hypothesis: Girls achieve better than boys because of their study cultures Research Methods used. Within my investigation to find whether girls achieve better than boys in education, I have included a variety of different research methods. The majority of my research was done through...

Our Children

Corrugated iron shelters poverty. Cold smoke escapes cold bodies. Warmth is a luxury. Safety is a...

Skills for 2030

There was a time when I dreamed of a future where I would find myself a decent job, and I used to...