Education: The Big Picture

An Ivorian refugee child reads from a chalkboard at a school in the town of Douplay, in Nimba County.

© UNICEF/NYHQ2011-0025/Frederic Sautereau

Why can’t every child go to school?

Every girl and boy has the right to a good education, but millions of children and young people miss out. Education isn’t just about finding a job. When one is educated one is more likely to be aware of his/her rights, and better able to make sure that those rights are respected. Education gives people choices-- and the confidence to take advantage of those choices.

Education is important not just for the individual, but also for members of the individual’s community. For example, a student can share what she has learned about staying healthy with her family. She can teach her friends about safety issues. She’ll be in a better position to be an active, participating member of her community and may even convince someone of the value of an education for every child. She’ll also be exercising her right to education, which is a right defined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Some of the reasons why so many children might not be able to attend school include:

• Poverty: Families may have difficulty affording school fees or the cost of uniforms, or may need and children to work to contribute to the family income.
  • Safety: Families may keep their children at home if they feel the journey to school is too long or that it's dangerous to walk to school alone. They may also be worried about bullying, sexual harassment or violence, especially for girls.
  • Local traditions: In some countries, families place more emphasis on the education of boys, and may not believe it is important to send their daughters to school. Girls may also be forced to marry young, drop out of school, and dedicate themselves to housework.
  • Emergencies: Conflicts, economic crises and natural disasters prevent millions of children around the world from getting an education.

Other forms of education

Most often we think of schools when we think about education, but learning happens in other ways too:

• Non-formal education involves learning via organized activities outside of school. For example, teens learn organizational and leadership skills by volunteering in their community or being part of a youth organization.
  • Informal education happens while talking to friends or parents. For example, one can learn important life skills such as how to prevent HIV by discussing it with friends.

Education at home here in South Kivu

As a new schoolyear is starting, it seems very important for me to talk to you about children’s...

Let’s give Congolese children the means to succeed going back to sch...

After two months spent at home, the DRC student will get back on the school path on September 08,...

Bujumbura by Bus – A Long Walk To Peace!

The Great Lakes region has been the scene of recurring wars. It is important to show this long path...

What Do You Expect From Education?

Consistently you would espouse that this is the revolutionary time period of education as society...

So many people hate LGTB people. But why? Why make someone's life a living...

Source: http://www.voicesofyouth.org/en/posts/is-it-controversial----2

The LGBT rights

Hello everyone.. My first reblog on VOY is going to be a recent post I read written by the blogging intern Maria (http://www.voicesofyouth.org/en/users/227642).The subject of the post is the rights of LGBT people. And to be honest with you, this post is to express my feelings about this...

How to Die Completely Empty

Million of ideas cook up in our mental stoves Minute by minute our minds travel miles away I...

Education: The Key to Change

High School has gone by more quickly than I would have ever imagined. Most of us get overwhelmed with attempting to balance school, sports, extracurricular activities and social life (if you don’t, you are a super human, props). Time gets so limited that even every second counts. I laughed as a si...

Youth inclusion in governance: #30PercentOrNothing vs. #30PercentForWe...

Many Nigerians have, in recent months, decried the low level of participation of the youth in governance. The issue has become a trending topic both online and offline but this did not just happen in an instant. During a national conference earlier this year, a coalition of youths brough...

The Platform for Geniuses – NTSE

NTSE is National Talent Search Examination that is held every year for Indian students settled in...

One step in the democratization of education is off-campus learning

In recent times, online education has become more and more popular. It began with independent grou...