Education: The Big Picture

An Ivorian refugee child reads from a chalkboard at a school in the town of Douplay, in Nimba County.

© UNICEF/NYHQ2011-0025/Frederic Sautereau

Why can’t every child go to school?

Every girl and boy has the right to a good education, but millions of children and young people miss out. Education isn’t just about finding a job. When one is educated one is more likely to be aware of his/her rights, and better able to make sure that those rights are respected. Education gives people choices-- and the confidence to take advantage of those choices.

Education is important not just for the individual, but also for members of the individual’s community. For example, a student can share what she has learned about staying healthy with her family. She can teach her friends about safety issues. She’ll be in a better position to be an active, participating member of her community and may even convince someone of the value of an education for every child. She’ll also be exercising her right to education, which is a right defined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Some of the reasons why so many children might not be able to attend school include:

• Poverty: Families may have difficulty affording school fees or the cost of uniforms, or may need and children to work to contribute to the family income.
  • Safety: Families may keep their children at home if they feel the journey to school is too long or that it's dangerous to walk to school alone. They may also be worried about bullying, sexual harassment or violence, especially for girls.
  • Local traditions: In some countries, families place more emphasis on the education of boys, and may not believe it is important to send their daughters to school. Girls may also be forced to marry young, drop out of school, and dedicate themselves to housework.
  • Emergencies: Conflicts, economic crises and natural disasters prevent millions of children around the world from getting an education.

Other forms of education

Most often we think of schools when we think about education, but learning happens in other ways too:

• Non-formal education involves learning via organized activities outside of school. For example, teens learn organizational and leadership skills by volunteering in their community or being part of a youth organization.
  • Informal education happens while talking to friends or parents. For example, one can learn important life skills such as how to prevent HIV by discussing it with friends.

Will Innovations Solve Africa's Pressing Challenges?

As you may be aware one of the great things about social media is its reach and, as we saw from th...

The New Era for the Youth

The Philippines' National Hero, Dr. Jose P. Rizal once said, "Ang kabataan ang pag-asa ng bayan."...

We are Offering Ambassadorships to Young People in Conflict-Affected A...

Youth to End Sexual Violence is a network of young people, dedicated to ending the use of rape and...

Inspirational Quotes

1. The man who waits for things to turn up has his eyes fixed on his toes. (Creswell Mac Laughlin) 2. The mind by passion, driven from its hold, becomes a feather to each wind that blows. (William Shakespeare) 3. Everything that is done in the world is done by hope. (Martin Luther King...

Post-2015 Updates from a Child Rights Perspective on Instagram & Tumbl...

The UNICEF Post-2015 Team is pleased to share its new social media sites on Instagram and Tumblr!...

http://imgur.com/dj5aHxX.jpg

Source: http://i.imgur.com/dj5aHxX.jpg

What are the barriers to education in Brazil & Mexico?

Yesterday a really interesting event took place at the UNICEF offices in New York. A group of yout...

SO THERE'S CLIMATE CHANGE, WHAT NEXT?

SO THERE’S CLIMATE CHANGE, WHAT NEXT? When I ask people questions regarding climate change I rece...

THE VOICE OF SOCIAL MEDIA

THE VOICE OF SOCIAL MEDIA# In today’s world people can communicate over great distances. You...

THE MINDSET TREE

THE MINDSET TREE In Zambia, poverty has escalated rapidly and it has gone out of control. This...

Collective Action for sustainable development

Leave no one behind… Village communities show the way towards an inclusive post-2015 framework....