Fact Sheet

Each year, at least three million children under the age of five die due to environment-related diseases.

Acute respiratory infections annually kill an estimated two million children under the age of five. As much as 60 percent of acute respiratory infections worldwide are related to environmental conditions.

Diarrhoeal diseases claim the lives of nearly two million children every year. Eighty to 90 percent of these diarrhea cases are related to environmental conditions, in particular, contaminated water and inadequate sanitation.

Nearly one million children under the age of five died of malaria in 1998. Up to 90 percent of malaria cases are attributed to environmental factors.

Between 1990 and 2005, tropical deforestation happened at a rate of 130,000 km2 per year. That is about the size of the countries of Greece and Nicaragua.

If present trends continue, 1.8 billion people will be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity by 2025, and two thirds of the world population could be subject to water stress.

Around 2 million species have been identified and described. Out of these, only 10% (200,000) have been assessed for their conservation status. 16,000 species have been identified as threatened with extinction.

Global Warming

Its seems to me that this summer is much warmer than the previous summers we have had. The rain has not even been constant, it is not so often that rain starts in December. Mostly it begins to rain constantly and often late October. It must be that there is too much heat in the atmosphere ca...

United Nations Student Conference on Development

It has begun! The 2014-2015 United Nations Student Leadership Conference on Development preparations are well under way. We are working closely with schools in Thailand, Pakistan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Tanzania, the Philippines, Mexico, and India. This year, our focus is "Con...

Environmentaly Stable

In our world the global community seems to be blinded by the blight of environmental stability. Th...

Legionella

Legionella has become issue of the day everywhere in my country: Portugal. At the moment the portuguese news have recorded about 302 confirmed cases of Legionella. Legionella bacteria caused 9 deaths here. This outbreak of legionella is the third largest ever in the world. We can contrac...

Leaving our lives in the hands of Heads of State

I am writing this post after a whole day of observing negotiations at the ministerial meeting of Small Islands States in preparation for climate change summit in Lima. I was placed at a table towards the back on the room with a clear label: OBSERVER. A few government officials of the Seychel...

Rauvolfia Serpentina; A Medicinal Herb

Rauvolfia serpentina or ‘snakeroot’ or ‘sarpagandha’ is one of the 80 species of Rauvolfia...

Displaced by climate- what is your legal status?

It has already started. The effects of climate change have meant that people are being forced to migrate. A case of a family from Tuvalu applied for asylum in New Zealand and although it was granted it was on humanitarian ground on the basis that there had close ties in NZ. In fact the bulk...

Green Footsteps

You may have read the title and wondered what on earth I'm on about. But I'm worried; worried that we are slowly destroying our world. Global warming - the increased used of carbon by man which has exacerbated the greenhouse effect, is taking it's toll. Ice sheets are melting. Rivers are flooding....

Source: https://soundcloud.com/alex-fm-young-reporters/bigger-than-life-water-and-sunita...

AWARENESS ON HEALTHY LIFESTYLE

MBALI WAS INTERVIEWING ONE OF THE RESIDENTS OF ALEXANDRA TOWNSHIP SOUTH AFRICA CONCERNING THE PLAC...

Achieving Food Security in Times of Crisis

We observed “International Food Day” on 16th October. This year theme of the day was “Family Farming – Feeding the World, Caring the Earth”. Family farming helps in achieving food security by eradicating hunger, improving livelihoods, achieving sustainability etc. In this moder...