Fact Sheet

Each year, at least three million children under the age of five die due to environment-related diseases.

Acute respiratory infections annually kill an estimated two million children under the age of five. As much as 60 percent of acute respiratory infections worldwide are related to environmental conditions.

Diarrhoeal diseases claim the lives of nearly two million children every year. Eighty to 90 percent of these diarrhea cases are related to environmental conditions, in particular, contaminated water and inadequate sanitation.

Nearly one million children under the age of five died of malaria in 1998. Up to 90 percent of malaria cases are attributed to environmental factors.

Between 1990 and 2005, tropical deforestation happened at a rate of 130,000 km2 per year. That is about the size of the countries of Greece and Nicaragua.

If present trends continue, 1.8 billion people will be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity by 2025, and two thirds of the world population could be subject to water stress.

Around 2 million species have been identified and described. Out of these, only 10% (200,000) have been assessed for their conservation status. 16,000 species have been identified as threatened with extinction.

ENVIRONMENTAL DEGRADATION- A MAN-MADE CATACLYSM

Our ENVIRONMENT and the activities in it revolves around man. We are the regulators of both physic...

Global Warming : A Reality or just a flawed theory?

Ever since i learnt about global warming and its effects, i got all geared up for doing something towards preventing it. But now, i am doubtful if is it a reality or just a theory. i have heard from both the sides and i am just confused. the layman knows that global warming is happening but the ones...

Protecting the Environment is everyone's duty

Environmental problems are becoming more and more serious all over the world. For example, cars ha...

Earning money for the homeless, hungry, and our country

Last Thursday, me and a group of people were having a big discussion about how we can help others....

The Eco Auger

One and a half billion people, that's right, billion with a b, people lack access to electricity....

The boy that made a change.

"Once upon a time,somewhere at the Earth,there was a small village,with almost 80 people,living ther...

International Volunteers Day

Recently on 5th December, 2014, we observed "International Volunteers Day" with the theme "People's Participation. Make Change Happen, Volunteer!". Being a youth & a volunteer myself, "International Volunteers Day" was of great importance to me. As I have been placed as an ICS (Inter...

Imagine protecting threatened wildlife, empowering local communities in the proc...

Source: https://www.iucn.org/news_homepage/all_news_by_theme/?18431/Tree-Kangaroo-Friend...

Tree Kangaroo Friendly Coffee – a triple win story

it is a story which began in 2009 in the remote valleys of Papua New Guinea’s (PNG) Huon Peninsula and is echoing around Caffe Vita’s stores in Seattle, Los Angeles and New York City, USA. Here 500 gram bags of this high quality coffee retail alongside freshly brewed mugs for in-store af...

Consequences for How We Have Been Living: Global Warming

As young people, we are going to inherit this planet eventually. This is scary to think about with...

The time for climate action is NOW

As world leaders come together this week in Lima, Peru for an annual summit on climate change, I c...