Fact Sheet

Each year, at least three million children under the age of five die due to environment-related diseases.

Acute respiratory infections annually kill an estimated two million children under the age of five. As much as 60 percent of acute respiratory infections worldwide are related to environmental conditions.

Diarrhoeal diseases claim the lives of nearly two million children every year. Eighty to 90 percent of these diarrhea cases are related to environmental conditions, in particular, contaminated water and inadequate sanitation.

Nearly one million children under the age of five died of malaria in 1998. Up to 90 percent of malaria cases are attributed to environmental factors.

Between 1990 and 2005, tropical deforestation happened at a rate of 130,000 km2 per year. That is about the size of the countries of Greece and Nicaragua.

If present trends continue, 1.8 billion people will be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity by 2025, and two thirds of the world population could be subject to water stress.

Around 2 million species have been identified and described. Out of these, only 10% (200,000) have been assessed for their conservation status. 16,000 species have been identified as threatened with extinction.

Remembering Prof. Mills

I am no poet. Lend me your eyes on a piece I prepared for former President of Ghana, John Evans Atta Mills who moved on to join very distinguished leaders in the silent world. Tomorrow will mark second anniversary since his sudden demise. It would be disheartening on the part of organized la...

SIDS YOUTH GLOBAL ACTION DAY - 24TH JULY 2014

To commemorate the SIDS Youth Global Action Day I thought I would write a post about small island...

A little bit on Romanian youth

This week I’ve been thinking about the youth in Romania and about its passions and interests. And slowly, I began to observe that these have started to estrange from culture, knowledge, true love or a lot other things that the human being is to be admired for. Let me explain this phenome...

"Is climate change and its impacts really a myth?"

"Is climate change and its impacts really a myth?" This is the question many people are asking. Firstly, climate change according to Encarta Dictionary is defined as change in global weather patterns: long-term alteration in global weather patterns, especially increases in temperature an...

Youth and Environment - a poem

Humans are your little kids mother, Being factors for you to bother. They cut trees & ma...

THE YOUTH DECIDED THEY NEEDED THEIR OWN LEGAL ENTITY SO THEIR VOICES C...

The youth of the AIMS region (Atlantic, Indian Ocean and Mediterranean and South China Seas) decid...

Tourism great wonder

TOURISM My most interesting topic was absolutely tourism. It was the topic I enjoyed and caugh...

Climate Change : Reality or Assumption?

Climate in a narrow sense is usually defined as the "average weather," or more rigorously, as the...

Global Survey on Youth

This is an open invitation to the youth of the world. Being a youth activist from Sri Lanka, I have always been passionate about contemporary issues faced by youth. In view of this I took part as a delegate at World Conference on Youth 2014, where I was able to get in touch with youth acti...

Young Environmentalist with his grandfather

Here, I will introduce one young environmentalist. He has started his environmental journey from t...