Fact Sheet

Each year, at least three million children under the age of five die due to environment-related diseases.

Acute respiratory infections annually kill an estimated two million children under the age of five. As much as 60 percent of acute respiratory infections worldwide are related to environmental conditions.

Diarrhoeal diseases claim the lives of nearly two million children every year. Eighty to 90 percent of these diarrhea cases are related to environmental conditions, in particular, contaminated water and inadequate sanitation.

Nearly one million children under the age of five died of malaria in 1998. Up to 90 percent of malaria cases are attributed to environmental factors.

Between 1990 and 2005, tropical deforestation happened at a rate of 130,000 km2 per year. That is about the size of the countries of Greece and Nicaragua.

If present trends continue, 1.8 billion people will be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity by 2025, and two thirds of the world population could be subject to water stress.

Around 2 million species have been identified and described. Out of these, only 10% (200,000) have been assessed for their conservation status. 16,000 species have been identified as threatened with extinction.

INTERNATIONAL DAY OF HAPPINESS- Lessons to Learn

All around the world, the 20th of March is being dedicated to celebrate 'Happiness' every year....

Interview: Anthea Laurence - FIGHTING FOR SMALL ISLAND DEVELOPING STAT...

Name: Anthea Laurence Age: 18 As a young islander you seem close to the small island devel...

Lanan Mafatu

The mountain paths wind away into the rough terrain. In the difficult conditions of the rainy season, we must trek along rocky roads and mud, across flooded rivers and valleys, and up steep hills prone to dangerous mudslides. This may be extreme for me, but for my hardy Timorese friend,...

West Papua: natural disaster vulnerability

The city of Jayapura or as Papuan’s like to call it Port Numbay, is surrounded by lush green mou...

Interview: Ameer Ebrahim - AT THE FOREFRONT OF SUSTAINABLE FISHING

Name: Ameer Ebrahim Age: 25 Occupation: Marine scientist undertaking a PhD in Mari...

In wake of Geneva climate talks, Mazurier urges decision makers to con...

In the first of four climate summits this year ahead of the Conference of Parties (COP 21) in Pari...

Eye Opening Experience at the Voice of Youth Mapping Exercise

The digital mapping exercise has been an eye opening experience just as stated in the title. Going...

A FLOODED BUDALANGI

Climate change is one of the most serious threats to sustainable development globally. Budalan...

Ubuntu...What is it?

It has been a philosophy and a living concept that shaped human relations across hundreds of years, but many people are beginning to question ubuntu...asking, "What is it really? Is it alive today? We hear reflections from the youth on the streets of Cape Town, South Africa.

Climate Mappers Needed!

We're looking for more mappers to bring child & youth voices to the Sendai Conference. To appl...