Fact Sheet

Each year, at least three million children under the age of five die due to environment-related diseases.

Acute respiratory infections annually kill an estimated two million children under the age of five. As much as 60 percent of acute respiratory infections worldwide are related to environmental conditions.

Diarrhoeal diseases claim the lives of nearly two million children every year. Eighty to 90 percent of these diarrhea cases are related to environmental conditions, in particular, contaminated water and inadequate sanitation.

Nearly one million children under the age of five died of malaria in 1998. Up to 90 percent of malaria cases are attributed to environmental factors.

Between 1990 and 2005, tropical deforestation happened at a rate of 130,000 km2 per year. That is about the size of the countries of Greece and Nicaragua.

If present trends continue, 1.8 billion people will be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity by 2025, and two thirds of the world population could be subject to water stress.

Around 2 million species have been identified and described. Out of these, only 10% (200,000) have been assessed for their conservation status. 16,000 species have been identified as threatened with extinction.

Trash dumped in some areas of Kitwe - Climate Mapping

From an anti-hill to a trench and finally a man made hill of garbage. Waste disposal is of the...

A State of Mind During Exam Time

Yesterday I took a pen & paper to write an exciting & informative article about some global issues which I intended to post in VOY blogging page but lot of topics mingled in my mind & finally I decided not to write about them & instead to write about my own state of mind duri...

Climate Change: More than an Environmental Problem

I recently decided to ask a couple of my fellow climate ambassadors why they really cared about the fight against climate change. Most answers were because they care about the environment or because they want to conserve the environment or even because it was the right thing to do....

Is it simple to keep healthy?

This week, dedicated to NCD (Non Communicable Diseases), every young man/woman should take a momen...

Climate Thought

A savage is not the one who live in the forest, but the one who destroys it... To change everythin...

That's it!

First of all, congratulations for all of you. This article is for all the youth voices around the world! :) You are what you want to be! Nothing can stop you, scare and make you change your goals. Sometimes, you feel invincible and infinite. You have ideas and you make your own ide...

Photography for storytelling

I had the pleasure of attending an event organised by UNICEF Sri Lanka today. I did a photo-post e...

Is life basically blue, green and yellow?

BLUE: The young soul sat on the beach; just some meters away from the crystal clear sea water. He...

Earth Overshoot Day 2014

Today is Earth Overshoot Day in 2014. This means that humanity has consumed in almost 8 months w...

Changing the World

When we are children, a lot of us grow up seeing poverty if not being a victim of it. As we step i...