Fact Sheet

WHO estimates that 70% of premature deaths among adults are largely due to behaviors initiated during adolescence, including poor eating habits (WHO 2005. Ten facts about chronic diseases).

Road traffic crashes are the leading cause of death among young people between 10 and 24 years, according to a report published by WHO. The report, Youth and Road Safety, says that nearly 400 000 young people under the age of 25 are killed in road traffic crashes every year. Millions more are injured or disabled. (WHO-2007)

Suicide is the third-leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, surpassed only by accidents and homicide. (CDC-2007)

Young people under 25 years constitute one-third of the more than a quarter of a million people infected with an STI each day (Blum and Nelson 2004; FHI 2009).

The Hype over Vitamins

More than half of American adults take a dietary supplement every day as society becomes dependent...

Interview: Anthea Laurence - FIGHTING FOR SMALL ISLAND DEVELOPING STAT...

Name: Anthea Laurence Age: 18 As a young islander you seem close to the small island devel...

Ebola versus Education

With schools closed in the Ebola outbreak and a lack of educational opportunities, how can we achiev...

Lanan Mafatu

The mountain paths wind away into the rough terrain. In the difficult conditions of the rainy season, we must trek along rocky roads and mud, across flooded rivers and valleys, and up steep hills prone to dangerous mudslides. This may be extreme for me, but for my hardy Timorese friend,...

The Need for Easy Access to Sanitation

Background The World Health Organization (WHO) defines sanitation as, “the provision of faci...

Since You Are Young...

Young age is called as the most influential age at which persons are more active, healthy and expe...

Together we can end adolescent AIDS.

As you may have understood, from previous posts (here and here) the issue of HIV/AIDS, is probably...

World Cancer Day 2015: 'Not Beyond Us' (Part 2)

In the preceding part of this post, I gave a synopsis of what cancer is, parts of the body that co...

World Cancer Day 2015: 'Not Beyond Us' (Part 1)

Cancer is a neoplastic disease that affects the following parts of the human body: Colon, Liver, C...