Fact Sheet

WHO estimates that 70% of premature deaths among adults are largely due to behaviors initiated during adolescence, including poor eating habits (WHO 2005. Ten facts about chronic diseases).

Road traffic crashes are the leading cause of death among young people between 10 and 24 years, according to a report published by WHO. The report, Youth and Road Safety, says that nearly 400 000 young people under the age of 25 are killed in road traffic crashes every year. Millions more are injured or disabled. (WHO-2007)

Suicide is the third-leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, surpassed only by accidents and homicide. (CDC-2007)

Young people under 25 years constitute one-third of the more than a quarter of a million people infected with an STI each day (Blum and Nelson 2004; FHI 2009).

WHY ABSTINENCE ALONE JUST WONT CUT IT

WHY ABSTAINENCE ALONE JUST WONT CUT IT In this generation it is normal to see young people going...

TEEN DATING AND FLIRTING- WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE

TEEN DATING AND FLIRTING – WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE Most people in between the age 15-24 are fou...

GENDER BASED VIOLENCE

GENDER BASED VIOLENCE Why do you think men beat women is it because they want respect or becau...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/newcastle-young-reporters/eye-health-care-audio

Audio commentary on Eye Health Care

An audio commentary by Siphamandla Mbatha, a young reporter from Newcastle sharing his story as a...

Cinematographic Change – Inspired by Plato

Imagine that you are sitting in a chair in a movie theater for your entire life. The theater is dark and all you can see is the wide movie screen in front of you. You can’t move because your hands and your ankles are tied to the chair. The back of the chair is high above your head so that...

United Nations Student Conference on Development

It has begun! The 2014-2015 United Nations Student Leadership Conference on Development preparations are well under way. We are working closely with schools in Thailand, Pakistan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Tanzania, the Philippines, Mexico, and India. This year, our focus is "Con...

My wish for children in 25 years time is…......

To my knowledge, the major problems that the children of today's world are facing are malnutrition, gender inequality, child labor, child marriage, female genital mutilation, sexual crimes, war/violence, depression, lack of education, drug addiction, lack of emotional security etc. So, if I...

Let’s Invest in Young Girls Now

Today, the whole world is celebrating International Day of the Girl Child. This year’s theme is...

Blind teacher continues to beat odds

The first cry by a newborn baby usually signals a successful delivery. But to Martha Munjuri, it w...

Hunger in america

1 in 6 people in America face hunger. Households with children reported a significantly higher food...