Fact Sheet

WHO estimates that 70% of premature deaths among adults are largely due to behaviors initiated during adolescence, including poor eating habits (WHO 2005. Ten facts about chronic diseases).

Road traffic crashes are the leading cause of death among young people between 10 and 24 years, according to a report published by WHO. The report, Youth and Road Safety, says that nearly 400 000 young people under the age of 25 are killed in road traffic crashes every year. Millions more are injured or disabled. (WHO-2007)

Suicide is the third-leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, surpassed only by accidents and homicide. (CDC-2007)

Young people under 25 years constitute one-third of the more than a quarter of a million people infected with an STI each day (Blum and Nelson 2004; FHI 2009).

Child Marriage: What should YOU(th) do?

Nowadays Child Marriage which is commonly known as “বাল্যবিবাহ (Ballo Bibaho...

A heroine gone too soon

She signed the consent forms and went to the operating room not to save her own life but of someon...

What matters most to youth? Part 2

Have you had an experience that upended your views or enlightened your view concerning certain iss...

NCDs : How Trigeminal Neuralgia Took Over My Life

Have you ever heard of Trigeminal Neuralgia? It's very likely you haven't. "It is estimated th...

Photography for storytelling

I had the pleasure of attending an event organised by UNICEF Sri Lanka today. I did a photo-post e...

Is life basically blue, green and yellow?

BLUE: The young soul sat on the beach; just some meters away from the crystal clear sea water. He...

EBOLA : A SCARE CROW...

On a transit from one part of Nigeria to the other I noticed the highway has really become scanty with bushmeat traders trying to make a living from their game, and my thoughts ran wild. It dawned on me that the Ebola virus has taken a turn on the lives of the local people hunting in the wil...

Gender-Equality, and a Conversation with the UN SRSG-SVC

On Monday, Youth to End Sexual Violence was at the United Nations to advocate for the development...

On the issue of abortion

This issue of abortion is one of the most discussed worldwide. In my opinion, abortion in cases of extreme health must be authorized. But for negligence and carelessness (most cases) pregnant women should let the fetus develop. After a week, the fetus is already considered a human, and lik...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/s720x720/10549265_700685736647376_1809865485359025340_o.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/UNICEFSriLanka/photos/a.247131832002771.58114.183150725...

#Photography for Storytelling

An open invitation to all enthusiasts! Join UNICEF Sri Lanka at this event announcing the 3rd...