Fact Sheet

WHO estimates that 70% of premature deaths among adults are largely due to behaviors initiated during adolescence, including poor eating habits (WHO 2005. Ten facts about chronic diseases).

Road traffic crashes are the leading cause of death among young people between 10 and 24 years, according to a report published by WHO. The report, Youth and Road Safety, says that nearly 400 000 young people under the age of 25 are killed in road traffic crashes every year. Millions more are injured or disabled. (WHO-2007)

Suicide is the third-leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, surpassed only by accidents and homicide. (CDC-2007)

Young people under 25 years constitute one-third of the more than a quarter of a million people infected with an STI each day (Blum and Nelson 2004; FHI 2009).

Forgiving Terrorism

I grew up with a war. So did another 6 million Sri Lankan children of my generation. Just like mos...

What has recently marked me as an ambitious individual and as a young...

Bonjour! :) I have been quite busy physically, morally and psychologically with numerous events oc...

Fed Up

I recently watched a very interesting documentary film by the producer of An Inconvenient Truth ca...

What Do You Expect From Education?

Consistently you would espouse that this is the revolutionary time period of education as society...

CRC@25

The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), is a treaty ratified by a almost a...

Rubbish Heaps in Industrial Areas in Solwezi

Waste management practices and proper disposal seem to be a challenge in Solwezi district of North...

Street Water Spraying Program in Solwezi

Solwezi is the capital city of the North-Western Province of Zambia. Due to recent mining and land...

When is it your right to have access to contraceptives? 18 or when you...

The debate about when adolescents should have access to contraceptives has been discussed for years and we have created a strategy that is full of flaws. Currently it is believed that a person at the age of 14 can be sexually active but they can only gain access to contraceptives at the...

The AIDS crisis,the ''Dallas Buyers Club'' and ''the Normal Heart(s)''...

Let's talk about AIDS. Who has not heard about it? Unfortunately, this pandemic has been a par...

Your Health; Your Responsibility

The theme in the Seychelles for health is “your health, your responsibility.” The health care system in the Seychelles caters for access to health care for everyone. The largest proportion of the government’s budget is given to the Ministry of Health to cater for the health care of the...