Fact Sheet

WHO estimates that 70% of premature deaths among adults are largely due to behaviors initiated during adolescence, including poor eating habits (WHO 2005. Ten facts about chronic diseases).

Road traffic crashes are the leading cause of death among young people between 10 and 24 years, according to a report published by WHO. The report, Youth and Road Safety, says that nearly 400 000 young people under the age of 25 are killed in road traffic crashes every year. Millions more are injured or disabled. (WHO-2007)

Suicide is the third-leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, surpassed only by accidents and homicide. (CDC-2007)

Young people under 25 years constitute one-third of the more than a quarter of a million people infected with an STI each day (Blum and Nelson 2004; FHI 2009).

Since You Are Young...

Young age is called as the most influential age at which persons are more active, healthy and expe...

Together we can end adolescent AIDS.

As you may have understood, from previous posts (here and here) the issue of HIV/AIDS, is probably...

World Cancer Day 2015: 'Not Beyond Us' (Part 2)

In the preceding part of this post, I gave a synopsis of what cancer is, parts of the body that co...

World Cancer Day 2015: 'Not Beyond Us' (Part 1)

Cancer is a neoplastic disease that affects the following parts of the human body: Colon, Liver, C...

Zero Tolerance For Female Genital Mutilation (Part 2)

Female Genital Mutilation has no health benefits, rather it has a couple of severe immediate effec...

Zero Tolerance For Female Genital Mutilation (Part 1)

Female Genital Mutilation refers to any procedure that intentionally alters or causes injury to th...

Watch Your Head!

A head Injury can be a serious thing - sometimes causing injuries that can lead to change in behaviour, disabilities or even death. Khayelitsha township in Cape Town is one of the most affected areas by brain injuries - related to sport, drinking, fighting and other violence. HeadsUp! is an...

2015, A Year Of Global Action!

As a matter of urgency, there are lots of irregularities which need to be addressed as viewed from...

Smoking Among Doctors: Do As I Say; Not As I Do!

According to Global Burden of Disease 2010, tobacco smoking is the 3rd ranked risk factor contribu...

A Testimony on HIV

I was born in 1995, 12 years after the discovery of HIV and five years after infection came to my...