Fact Sheet

TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE ON HIV & AIDS - TAKE OUR QUIZ

• 2.1 million adolescents (10-19 years) were living with HIV in 2012.
  • About 300,000 new HIV infections occurred among adolescents (15-19 years) in 2012.
  • HIV is the second leading cause of death among adolescents according to the 2014 WHO Health for the World’s Adolescents report.
  • AIDS-related deaths among adolescents (10-19 years) increased by 50% between 2005 and 2012. Overall, deaths due to AIDS fell by 30%.
  • Doing the right thing at the right time for all adolescents could avert 2 million new infections among adolescents (10-19 years) by 2020.
  • 260,000 new HIV infections occurred among children (0-14 years) in low- and middle-income countries in 2012.
  • 850,000 new infections among children (0-14 years) in low- and middle-income countries were prevented between 2005 and 2012.
  • 34% of children (0-14 years) received the life-saving ART they needed in 2012 versus 64% of adults.
  • Without treatment, 1/3 of infants living with HIV will die before their first birthday, and half will die before their second birthday.

For more facts and details, check out www.childrenandaids.org.

WHY ABSTINENCE ALONE JUST WONT CUT IT

WHY ABSTAINENCE ALONE JUST WONT CUT IT In this generation it is normal to see young people going...

PRESSURES FACED BY THE YOUTH

PRESSURES FACED BY THE YOUTH Youths take up most of the world’s population and so when there...

TEEN DATING AND FLIRTING- WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE

TEEN DATING AND FLIRTING – WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE Most people in between the age 15-24 are fou...

Cinematographic Change – Inspired by Plato

Imagine that you are sitting in a chair in a movie theater for your entire life. The theater is dark and all you can see is the wide movie screen in front of you. You can’t move because your hands and your ankles are tied to the chair. The back of the chair is high above your head so that...

MDG6 and children

In order to live a happy and healthy life, one needs to have a positive mind no matter how tough life may be, one should believe in themselves. Whatever you are doing and you are not successful or happy, you don’t have a sound mind full of confidence. An HIV free generation is a dream sh...

Stop the mourns Ebola!

-As you make steps further, menacing to engulf the human race pitilessly, we plead: Kindly spare u...

Will Innovations Solve Africa's Pressing Challenges?

As you may be aware one of the great things about social media is its reach and, as we saw from th...

Our Responsibility Towards HIV+ Persons

Stigma and discrimination related to HIV/AIDS are almost as old as the pandemic itself and regrett...

Post-2015 Updates from a Child Rights Perspective on Instagram & Tumbl...

The UNICEF Post-2015 Team is pleased to share its new social media sites on Instagram and Tumblr!...

http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10624437_609855422469193_1273127250_n.jpg

Source: http://instagram.com/red?modal=true

When a movie gives you a motivation.

In a previous article, I wrote about AIDS, including three movies about AIDS, homosexuality and...