Fact Sheet

• In 2008, around 33.4 million people were living with HIV worldwide. Of these, 4.9 million were young people (15–24 years old), and 2.1 million were children under 15.
  • Most of HIV infections still occur in sub-Saharan Africa. This region makes up more than 80 percent of young people (15–24 years old) who are living with HIV. (UNICEF, Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland, more than 1 in 10 young people are living with HIV (UNICEF, Children and AIDS, 2010)
  • Girls and young women are especially affected by HIV. Worldwide, over 60 per cent of all young people living with HIV are young women. In sub- Saharan Africa, young women make up nearly 70 per cent of all young people living with HIV. (UNICEF, Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Only 31 per cent of young men and 19 per cent of young women have comprehensive, correct knowledge[1] of HIV and AIDS. (UNICEF, Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The Central and Eastern Europe and Commonwealth of Independent States (CEE/CIS) region is home to nearly 1 of 4 of the world’s injecting drug users. (UNICEF, Children and AIDS, 2010)
  • In the worst-affected countries, more than 40% of injecting drug users are infected with HIV. (UNICEF, Children and AIDS, 2010)
  • In sub-Saharan Africa, out of young people who reported they had had sex with multiple partners during the previous year, 47 per cent of young men and 32 per cent of young women claimed to have used a condom during the last intercourse. (UNICEF, Children and AIDS, 2010)

[1] Comprehensive, correct knowledge is defined as correctly identifying the two major ways of preventing the sexual transmission of HIV (using condoms and limiting sex to one faithful, uninfected partner), rejecting the two most common local misconceptions about HIV transmission and knowing that a healthy-looking person can transmit HIV.

What are the causes of the increase in prostitution rates in Kabwe?

Prostitution as a whole has become a serious draw back in the development of the country; this is...

Quest for Internet Access at Luanshya Secondary School

The internet has become part of our everyday life because of its ease access and diversity. Today,...

Is sex just a social union?

Many a time, I have tried to survey and parry the questioning effect on sex and its constituents. I believe it is a redefined commitment entitled to both parties (man & woman) on a divine standard. The world we live in today defines sex as a 'social commitment', which is a taboo to fundamental n...

Improper Mindset about HIV

HIV is a virus that causes AIDS. A person can contract AIDS by having unprotected sex with an infe...

Let's treat this

The definition for HIV is human immune deficiency virus and AIDS is acquired immune deficiency syndrome. The difference between the two is that HIV is a virus while AIDS is a condition. A person can be infected with HIV by having unprotected sexual intercourse with an infected person. Circum...

Causes of a disease that can never be cured

Causes of a disease that can never be cured Experience is a school where a man learns what a big...

21 Questions!

I don't know how to start this note or make the words suitable for everyone to understand. Well the...

Zambia's First Lady Partners with UNICEF Child Ambassadors HIV Advocac...

One third (4 million) of the Zambian population is 15-24 years old; however, every hour, 3 of these...

VOICES OF YOUTH ON AIR!

On 2nd March, 2014 children in Zambia joined the rest of the world in commemorating The Internatio...

What is H.I.V/AIDS?

AIDS (Acquired immune deficiency syndrome or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) is a disease caused...