Fact Sheet

• 2.1 million adolescents (10-19 years) were living with HIV in 2012.
  • About 300,000 new HIV infections occurred among adolescents (15-19 years) in 2012.
  • HIV is the second leading cause of death among adolescents according to the 2014 WHO Health for the World’s Adolescents report.
  • AIDS-related deaths among adolescents (10-19 years) increased by 50% between 2005 and 2012. Overall, deaths due to AIDS fell by 30%.
  • Doing the right thing at the right time for all adolescents could avert 2 million new infections among adolescents (10-19 years) by 2020.
  • 260,000 new HIV infections occurred among children (0-14 years) in low- and middle-income countries in 2012.
  • 850,000 new infections among children (0-14 years) in low- and middle-income countries were prevented between 2005 and 2012.
  • 34% of children (0-14 years) received the life-saving ART they needed in 2012 versus 64% of adults.
  • Without treatment, 1/3 of infants living with HIV will die before their first birthday, and half will die before their second birthday.

For more facts and details, check out www.childrenandaids.org.

Quiz: How much do you know about HIV and AIDS?

1. What is the difference between HIV and AIDS? A. AIDS is caused by HIV. B. HIV is caused by AIDS. C. They are the same thing. 2. HIV can be transmitted before symptoms occur and before AIDS develops. How long can the onset of AIDS take? A. 6 months B. 5 years C....

Legalising prostitution: the two sides of the argument

One Saturday morning about a year back, I was walking down a road in one major suburb of Colombo (...

It's time to step up the pace in the fight against AIDS

Have you heard about the 20th International AIDS Conference taking place next week in Melbourne, A...

Empowered communities, collective choices

Every delivery of The Somali mother has been agonizing: the third ended in miscarriage and subsequen...

Global Survey on Youth

This is an open invitation to the youth of the world. Being a youth activist from Sri Lanka, I have always been passionate about contemporary issues faced by youth. In view of this I took part as a delegate at World Conference on Youth 2014, where I was able to get in touch with youth acti...

Don't Abuse Me! Use Me!

A Child is a person below the legal age of 18 years, as stipulated by the laws of Zambia. By virtue of been human children are entitled to rights which are known as child rights. It is unfortunate that despite Zambia been a signatory to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Ch...

Should the needle exchange programme be implemented in the Seychelles

An island treasure in the ocean has not been able to escape the rampant drug trade haunting the wo...

Why We Should Practice Safe Sex

The coming of technology has seen both good and bad vice in our societies. Youth are enganging in...

Re-entry Policy is Under Review in Zambia

As an educator I have observed both advantages and disadvantages of the re-entry policy. However, there are more disadvantages than advantages. Well, the main advantage is the girl child getting back to class. Their performance will be affected, and the main disadvantage is that she may beco...

Stigmatization

HIV can be contracted in many ways; some are born with it, some get it through accidents, yet some get it through defilement and rape. We all have people in our communities and schools that have HIV and we should always remember that they too are human and have the right to access that which we too...