Learn More About HIV and AIDS

TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE ON HIV & AIDS - TAKE OUR QUIZ

What is HIV?

HIV stands for Human Immunodeficiency Virus. The virus attacks cells in your body that fight off infection and keep the body healthy. When HIV has damaged the immune system, someone is said to have AIDS, or acquired immune deficiency syndrome. As HIV takes hold the body produces antibodies in an attempt to fight the virus.

What is AIDS?

AIDS stands for 'acquired immunodeficiency syndrome' and is a surveillance definition based on signs, symptoms, infections, and cancers associated with the deficiency of the immune system that stems from infection with HIV.

What are the symptoms of HIV?

Most people infected with HIV do not know that they have become infected, because they do not feel ill immediately after infection. However, some people may experience “Acute retroviral syndrome” 1-6 weeks after the HIV infection has happened. Symptoms of this syndrome are:

· fever

· rash

· joint pains

· enlarged lymph nodes

Whether or not HIV infection causes initial symptoms, an HIV-infected person is highly infectious during this initial period and can transmit the virus to another person. The only way to determine whether HIV is present in a person's body is by testing for HIV antibodies or for HIV itself.

When does a person have AIDS?

The term AIDS applies to the most advanced stages of HIV infection. It is defined by the existence of more than 20 opportunistic infections or HIV-related cancers.

How quickly do people infected with HIV develop AIDS?

The length of time can vary widely between individuals. The majority of people infected with HIV, if not treated, develop signs of HIV-related illness within 5-10 years, but the time between infection with HIV and being diagnosed with AIDS can be 10–15 years, sometimes longer.

Restoring the hope of slum children through education

Right in the heart of Korogocho slum,one of the largest slums in Nariobi,Kenya sits a small comple...

Teens and HIV/AIDS

The HIV and AIDS awareness day was a while ago (December 1st) .A few weeks ago I watched a video f...

Spread the message and not the disease

BAMENDA JOINS THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY TO CELEBRATE THE 26TH EDITION OF WORLD AIDS DAY “S...

T minus one month

Goal number 6 of the millennium development goals is concentrated on 3 diseases; TB, AIDS and Mala...

WHY ABSTINENCE ALONE JUST WONT CUT IT

In this generation it is normal to see young people going out and dating but not so long ago durin...

PRESSURES FACED BY THE YOUTH

Youths take up most of the world’s population and so when there are problems they are the most a...

TEEN DATING AND FLIRTING- WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE

Most people in between the age 15-24 are found in romantic relationships just for the fun of it. I...

Cinematographic Change – Inspired by Plato

Imagine that you are sitting in a chair in a movie theater for your entire life. The theater is dark and all you can see is the wide movie screen in front of you. You can’t move because your hands and your ankles are tied to the chair. The back of the chair is high above your head so that...

MDG6 and children

In order to live a happy and healthy life, one needs to have a positive mind no matter how tough life may be, one should believe in themselves. Whatever you are doing and you are not successful or happy, you don’t have a sound mind full of confidence. An HIV free generation is a dream sh...

Stop the mourns Ebola!

-As you make steps further, menacing to engulf the human race pitilessly, we plead: Kindly spare u...