The Big Picture

For nearly three decades, HIV and AIDS have had very damaging effects on individual, families, communities and countries. Still, in recent years the world has seen some progress. There has been a reduction in the number of people that become infected with HIV each year, and the development of safe and effective drugs help millions of people living with HIV to have longer and healthier lives.

TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE ON HIV & AIDS - TAKE OUR QUIZ

However, there is still a lot that needs to be done. Many young people do not have access to information and services that can help prevent the spread of HIV, and many programs do not reach the young people that are most affected by the disease.

Young girls are especially affected

For a variety of reasons – cultural, political and economic – some young people are more vulnerable to infection than others. For example, girls are at higher risk in some parts of the world. This is partly because girls are more likely to be pressured into having sex and less likely to be able to control with whom, when and how they have sex. Also, social attitudes to sex and sex education may make it more difficult for girls to get the information they need to protect themselves from infection.

Other young people are likely to be infected with HIV because they inject drugs (sharing unsterilized needles is a common route for infection). They may also be more at risk because they are poor or homeless, which makes them more vulnerable to exploitation and abuse.

Young people need access to safe and friendly services

Many young people choose not to seek support because they are worried that they will be judged by adults or health workers. For example, young injecting drug users and young people involved in commercial sex might avoid seeking support because their activities are considered illegal. Young people from sexual minorities, such as men who have sex with men, might worry about the stigma they could face if they talk about their sexual identity. Therefore it is important that all young people have access to non-judgmental and friendly services where they can be anonymous and be treated with care and respect .

The way forward

We all have a part to play in fighting the HIV and AIDS crisis. First and foremost we must make sure everyone has accurate information about how the virus is spread and how they can protect themselves. Making sure everyone can develop the skills and self-confidence to keep safe in difficult situations is also critical, as is having access to services, such as counselling, treatment and HIV testing. And all adults – guardians and official leaders – must do everything they can to make sure our communities are safe and young people are supported.

Photo: Young people participe in India’s Red Ribbon Club programme for HIV prevention walk in Chandrapur District, Maharashtra. The club is a voluntary forum for providing HIV information in villages. © UNICEF/INDA2011-00068/Crouch

Fix Society - Transgender People and HIV/AIDs

5:30 PM on December 28th 2014, a scheduled post hit tumblr saying “Either I live the rest of my...

In the Worst Year of Child Rights

According to UNICEF Report, 2014, the year 2014 is declared as the worst year for child rights. According to the report, globally 230 million children live in the countries & areas torn by armed conflicts. Children are facing war, violence, atrocities & violence. They are killed, orphaned, k...

"Biting the Bullet"- Tears of those Living with HIV/AIDS.

Many have passed away on account of it, millions are living with it and billions in the world toda...

Restoring the hope of slum children through education

Right in the heart of Korogocho slum,one of the largest slums in Nariobi,Kenya sits a small comple...

Teens and HIV/AIDS

The HIV and AIDS awareness day was a while ago (December 1st) .A few weeks ago I watched a video f...

Spread the message and not the disease

BAMENDA JOINS THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY TO CELEBRATE THE 26TH EDITION OF WORLD AIDS DAY “S...

T minus one month

Goal number 6 of the millennium development goals is concentrated on 3 diseases; TB, AIDS and Mala...

WHY ABSTINENCE ALONE JUST WONT CUT IT

In this generation it is normal to see young people going out and dating but not so long ago durin...

PRESSURES FACED BY THE YOUTH

Youths take up most of the world’s population and so when there are problems they are the most a...

TEEN DATING AND FLIRTING- WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE

Most people in between the age 15-24 are found in romantic relationships just for the fun of it. I...