Child Rights

Ludnie Cherlande Audat (centre) plays a clapping game with other girls in Centre d’Action pour le Developpement, a transit centre for children without parental care in Ganthier, town outside Port-au-Prince. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2626/Roger LeMoyne

What is the Convention on the Rights of the Child?

It has only been since 20 November 1989, when the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) that the world has benefited from one set of legal rights for all children and young people. Today, 193 States parties have ratified the Convention, making it the most widely ratified human rights agreement in the world.

A convention such as this is an agreement between people or countries where everyone agrees to follow the same law. The CRC spells out the range of rights to which children everywhere are entitled. It sets basic standards for children’s well-being at different stages of their development and is the first universal, legally binding code of child rights in history.

The Convention states that everyone under the age of 18 (the definition of a child), regardless of gender, origin, religion or possible disabilities, needs special care and protection because children are often the most vulnerable.

Although the Convention has 54 articles in all, it is guided by four fundamental principles:
  • Non-discrimination (article 2): You should neither benefit nor suffer because of your race, colour, gender, language, religion, or national, social or ethnic origin, or because of any political or other opinion; because of your caste, property or birth status; or because you are disabled.
  • The best interests of the child (article 3): Laws and actions affecting children should put your best interests first and benefit you in the best possible way.
  • Survival, development and protection (article 6): The authorities in your country must protect you and help ensure your full development – physical, spiritual, moral and social.
  • Participation (article 12): You have a right to have your say in decisions that affect you, and to have you opinions taken into account.

These are your rights.

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/waking-up-to-water-issues

Waking Up To Water Issues

Mbali is part of a CRF young reporters group that won an award for their radio feature about water...

What matters to youth in Algeria

Youth are the hope of every country, they represent a major power. If we could use this power for...

The New Era for the Youth

The Philippines' National Hero, Dr. Jose P. Rizal once said, "Ang kabataan ang pag-asa ng bayan."...

I promise to do my best for people!

Imagine that you greet a person in the morning and suddenly you find out the person’ is dead in...

We are Offering Ambassadorships to Young People in Conflict-Affected A...

Youth to End Sexual Violence is a network of young people, dedicated to ending the use of rape and...

Development – is it controversial?

In Sri Lanka, we suffered from the atrocities and grieved over losses in a civil war that lasted 3...

IT's MY WORLD...

You know how in those alien invasion movies like "transformers" how aliens can just create a new h...

Post-2015 Updates from a Child Rights Perspective on Instagram & Tumbl...

The UNICEF Post-2015 Team is pleased to share its new social media sites on Instagram and Tumblr!...

SO THERE'S CLIMATE CHANGE, WHAT NEXT?

SO THERE’S CLIMATE CHANGE, WHAT NEXT? When I ask people questions regarding climate change I rece...

THE VOICE OF SOCIAL MEDIA

THE VOICE OF SOCIAL MEDIA# In today’s world people can communicate over great distances. You...