Child Rights

Ludnie Cherlande Audat (centre) plays a clapping game with other girls in Centre d’Action pour le Developpement, a transit centre for children without parental care in Ganthier, town outside Port-au-Prince. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2626/Roger LeMoyne

What is the Convention on the Rights of the Child?

It has only been since 20 November 1989, when the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) that the world has benefited from one set of legal rights for all children and young people. Today, 193 States parties have ratified the Convention, making it the most widely ratified human rights agreement in the world.

A convention such as this is an agreement between people or countries where everyone agrees to follow the same law. The CRC spells out the range of rights to which children everywhere are entitled. It sets basic standards for children’s well-being at different stages of their development and is the first universal, legally binding code of child rights in history.

The Convention states that everyone under the age of 18 (the definition of a child), regardless of gender, origin, religion or possible disabilities, needs special care and protection because children are often the most vulnerable.

Although the Convention has 54 articles in all, it is guided by four fundamental principles:
  • Non-discrimination (article 2): You should neither benefit nor suffer because of your race, colour, gender, language, religion, or national, social or ethnic origin, or because of any political or other opinion; because of your caste, property or birth status; or because you are disabled.
  • The best interests of the child (article 3): Laws and actions affecting children should put your best interests first and benefit you in the best possible way.
  • Survival, development and protection (article 6): The authorities in your country must protect you and help ensure your full development – physical, spiritual, moral and social.
  • Participation (article 12): You have a right to have your say in decisions that affect you, and to have you opinions taken into account.

These are your rights.

http://www.un.org/en/ga/president/68/img/slideshow/stocktaking-event.jpg

Source: http://www.un.org/en/ga/president/68/img/slideshow/stocktaking-event.jpg

Bringing you the news from the General Assembly

Hi Voices of Youth This is just a short note to let you all know that this week we'll be shari...

On September 20th, British Actress Emma Watson stepped into her role as the Good...

Source: http://www.youthtoendsexualviolence.org/blog/2014/9/21/heforshe-special-event

On Gender Equality and Sexual Violence: HeForShe Special Event co-host...

On September 20th, British Actress Emma Watson stepped into her role as the Goodwill Ambassador for UN Women, co-hosting the launch event for their new solidarity movement, the "HeForShe Campaign". Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, UN Under-Secretary General and Executive Director of UN Women, pro...

BE PEACE: Happy International Day of Peace 2014. ☮

Since it was established in 1981, September 21 is the date dedicated to building up ideals of peac...

We are not toys!

Last Monday while one of my friends was travelling by bus, a man in his fifties sat next to her. W...

International Day Of Peace.

September 21,1981 The United Nations General Assembly declares that on this day world peace is...

Hopes and Dreams

A seven billion voice, a seven billion hope and a seven billion dream. The number is big, the eart...

AN OPEN LETTER TO MR BOMBER MAN

To whom it may concern (with all due respect).... I have heard and read lots of shocking things abo...

Youth issues in the local news

Hi you guys!! A lot of things are going on currently in Chile, such as political and economic...

What do we want as Algerian youth?

Each one of us loves his country. Personally, I have no problem in sacrificing my life for the goo...

Inspiring profile: "Not everyone can do everything but everyone can do...

Hello Everyone! I´m pleased to introduce this inspiring profile, I hope you enjoy it and share yo...