Child Rights

Ludnie Cherlande Audat (centre) plays a clapping game with other girls in Centre d’Action pour le Developpement, a transit centre for children without parental care in Ganthier, town outside Port-au-Prince. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2626/Roger LeMoyne

What is the Convention on the Rights of the Child?

It has only been since 20 November 1989, when the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) that the world has benefited from one set of legal rights for all children and young people. Today, 193 States parties have ratified the Convention, making it the most widely ratified human rights agreement in the world.

A convention such as this is an agreement between people or countries where everyone agrees to follow the same law. The CRC spells out the range of rights to which children everywhere are entitled. It sets basic standards for children’s well-being at different stages of their development and is the first universal, legally binding code of child rights in history.

The Convention states that everyone under the age of 18 (the definition of a child), regardless of gender, origin, religion or possible disabilities, needs special care and protection because children are often the most vulnerable.

Although the Convention has 54 articles in all, it is guided by four fundamental principles:
  • Non-discrimination (article 2): You should neither benefit nor suffer because of your race, colour, gender, language, religion, or national, social or ethnic origin, or because of any political or other opinion; because of your caste, property or birth status; or because you are disabled.
  • The best interests of the child (article 3): Laws and actions affecting children should put your best interests first and benefit you in the best possible way.
  • Survival, development and protection (article 6): The authorities in your country must protect you and help ensure your full development – physical, spiritual, moral and social.
  • Participation (article 12): You have a right to have your say in decisions that affect you, and to have you opinions taken into account.

These are your rights.

7th International Conference on Youth and Interfaith Dialogue

The Theme of the 7th International Conference on Youth and Interfaith Dialogue (http://www.interfa...

My experience as a young person in the fight against corruption

"The duty of youth is to challenge corruption." - Kurt Cobain. Corruption: is it a challenge or an obstacle? Or maybe it's an indication that something is wrong? In fact, corruption was the main cause for which the Tunisian revolution started back in 17th of December 2010. It’s bee...

BLACK DAY IN PESHAWAR- A GLOBAL CONCERN

It was such a gory sight when at about 11am on 16th December 2014,a group of Taliban gunmen made t...

The Reality of Immigration

Immigration is a tricky and highly contested issue in American politics and society today. The who...

Voices of Youth Inspire! "Use Music for A Good Cause"

“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to...

Today I speak !

Can you hear me thinking ? Because thinking is human. Can you see me existing ? Because my exist...

Child Workers in Indonesia

According to the International Labor Organisation, Indonesia is currently the 4th most populous country in the world with about 220 million people living there. About 30% of these people are under the age of 17 and about 3.2 million of these children work with some sort of labor. Some of the...

An Angry Black Youth

This video is in honor of Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, Eric Garner, and all of the B...

"We are the world"...every day.

"We are the world, We are the children, We are the ones who make a brighter day So,let's start...

Restoring the hope of slum children through education

Right in the heart of Korogocho slum,one of the largest slums in Nariobi,Kenya sits a small comple...