Child Rights

Ludnie Cherlande Audat (centre) plays a clapping game with other girls in Centre d’Action pour le Developpement, a transit centre for children without parental care in Ganthier, town outside Port-au-Prince. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2626/Roger LeMoyne

What is the Convention on the Rights of the Child?

It has only been since 20 November 1989, when the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) that the world has benefited from one set of legal rights for all children and young people. Today, 193 States parties have ratified the Convention, making it the most widely ratified human rights agreement in the world.

A convention such as this is an agreement between people or countries where everyone agrees to follow the same law. The CRC spells out the range of rights to which children everywhere are entitled. It sets basic standards for children’s well-being at different stages of their development and is the first universal, legally binding code of child rights in history.

The Convention states that everyone under the age of 18 (the definition of a child), regardless of gender, origin, religion or possible disabilities, needs special care and protection because children are often the most vulnerable.

Although the Convention has 54 articles in all, it is guided by four fundamental principles:
  • Non-discrimination (article 2): You should neither benefit nor suffer because of your race, colour, gender, language, religion, or national, social or ethnic origin, or because of any political or other opinion; because of your caste, property or birth status; or because you are disabled.
  • The best interests of the child (article 3): Laws and actions affecting children should put your best interests first and benefit you in the best possible way.
  • Survival, development and protection (article 6): The authorities in your country must protect you and help ensure your full development – physical, spiritual, moral and social.
  • Participation (article 12): You have a right to have your say in decisions that affect you, and to have you opinions taken into account.

These are your rights.

Climate Change: More than an Environmental Problem

I recently decided to ask a couple of my fellow climate ambassadors why they really cared about the fight against climate change. Most answers were because they care about the environment or because they want to conserve the environment or even because it was the right thing to do....

What Does Your Society Teach You About Poverty?

Implicit in most discussions of poverty is the notion that inequality is a given, and this has bee...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/radio-workshop-can-people-change

Can People Change

The Siviwe Youth reporters in Cape town, share their views and personal testimonies on whether or...

That's it!

First of all, congratulations for all of you. This article is for all the youth voices around the world! :) You are what you want to be! Nothing can stop you, scare and make you change your goals. Sometimes, you feel invincible and infinite. You have ideas and you make your own ide...

What is great about my country!

August 24th is Independence Day of Ukraine. There was a concert of one of the most famous bands...

Child Marriage: What should YOU(th) do?

Nowadays Child Marriage which is commonly known as “বাল্যবিবাহ (Ballo Bibaho...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BscwPeACIAAf3Cq.jpg:large

Source: https://twitter.com/SulomeAnderson/media

I’m Arab-American. My Boyfriend Is Israeli. A Selfie of Us Kissing H...

This is the most beautiful thing i have heard this days.... The girls in the photos tweets:He ca...

A heroine gone too soon

She signed the consent forms and went to the operating room not to save her own life but of someon...

Why are all conflicts similar?

Damped by blood, we have been collecting unpleasant memories of both repulse and victory. People h...

"HUMANITY" AN AFRICAN EXPRESSION

Humanity! Ubuntu! Bantu!anthu!abantu! All but words that have the same meaning in linguistic nature. Humanity! A symbol that once kept Africa united and saw people come together to fight a common era. Ubuntu! We came from all corners of the diaspora and fought a common era - slavery....