Child Rights

Ludnie Cherlande Audat (centre) plays a clapping game with other girls in Centre d’Action pour le Developpement, a transit centre for children without parental care in Ganthier, town outside Port-au-Prince. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2626/Roger LeMoyne

What is the Convention on the Rights of the Child?

It has only been since 20 November 1989, when the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) that the world has benefited from one set of legal rights for all children and young people. Today, 193 States parties have ratified the Convention, making it the most widely ratified human rights agreement in the world.

A convention such as this is an agreement between people or countries where everyone agrees to follow the same law. The CRC spells out the range of rights to which children everywhere are entitled. It sets basic standards for children’s well-being at different stages of their development and is the first universal, legally binding code of child rights in history.

The Convention states that everyone under the age of 18 (the definition of a child), regardless of gender, origin, religion or possible disabilities, needs special care and protection because children are often the most vulnerable.

Although the Convention has 54 articles in all, it is guided by four fundamental principles:
  • Non-discrimination (article 2): You should neither benefit nor suffer because of your race, colour, gender, language, religion, or national, social or ethnic origin, or because of any political or other opinion; because of your caste, property or birth status; or because you are disabled.
  • The best interests of the child (article 3): Laws and actions affecting children should put your best interests first and benefit you in the best possible way.
  • Survival, development and protection (article 6): The authorities in your country must protect you and help ensure your full development – physical, spiritual, moral and social.
  • Participation (article 12): You have a right to have your say in decisions that affect you, and to have you opinions taken into account.

These are your rights.

What is great about my country!

August 24th is Independence Day of Ukraine. There was a concert of one of the most famous bands...

Child Marriage: What should YOU(th) do?

Nowadays Child Marriage which is commonly known as “বাল্যবিবাহ (Ballo Bibaho...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BscwPeACIAAf3Cq.jpg:large

Source: https://twitter.com/SulomeAnderson/media

I’m Arab-American. My Boyfriend Is Israeli. A Selfie of Us Kissing H...

This is the most beautiful thing i have heard this days.... The girls in the photos tweets:He ca...

A heroine gone too soon

She signed the consent forms and went to the operating room not to save her own life but of someon...

Why are all conflicts similar?

Damped by blood, we have been collecting unpleasant memories of both repulse and victory. People h...

"HUMANITY" AN AFRICAN EXPRESSION

Humanity! Ubuntu! Bantu!anthu!abantu! All but words that have the same meaning in linguistic nature. Humanity! A symbol that once kept Africa united and saw people come together to fight a common era. Ubuntu! We came from all corners of the diaspora and fought a common era - slavery....

What matters most to youth? Part 2

Have you had an experience that upended your views or enlightened your view concerning certain iss...

They say : "Poverty is the cause of crime"

"Poverty is the cause of crime". This statement is usually used for the defense of the poor people, but which justifies the preference of previous suspicions that the police have. These foundations are based on the assumption that the poor people act by crime to survive. But in reality it is...

Anywhere you can make the difference :)

To help others, it is not necessary to leave the country or go further away from where you live. There are places, community centers where you can make a difference in the smallest ways. In September, I will help people with reduced motor skills in Fatima. I decided to volunteer with a fri...

Act or accept, Young people Take action!

Hi everyone! Current societies run faster than ever, that´s why new things are more desired a...