Child Rights

What is the Convention on the Rights of the Child?

It has only been since 20 November 1989, when the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) that the world has benefited from one set of legal rights for all children and young people. Today, 193 States parties have ratified the Convention, making it the most widely ratified human rights agreement in the world.
A convention such as this is an agreement between people or countries where everyone agrees to follow the same law. The CRC spells out the range of rights to which children everywhere are entitled. It sets basic standards for children’s well-being at different stages of their development and is the first universal, legally binding code of child rights in history.
The Convention states that everyone under the age of 18 (the definition of a child), regardless of gender, origin, religion or possible disabilities, needs special care and protection because children are often the most vulnerable.
Although the Convention has 54 articles in all, it is guided by four fundamental principles:
  • Non-discrimination (article 2): You should neither benefit nor suffer because of your race, colour, gender, language, religion, or national, social or ethnic origin, or because of any political or other opinion; because of your caste, property or birth status; or because you are disabled.
  • The best interests of the child (article 3): Laws and actions affecting children should put your best interests first and benefit you in the best possible way.
  • Survival, development and protection (article 6): The authorities in your country must protect you and help ensure your full development – physical, spiritual, moral and social.
  • Participation (article 12): You have a right to have your say in decisions that affect you, and to have you opinions taken into account.

These are your rights.

Q&A with 16-year-old filmmaker from Albania

Greis Osmani is a 16-year-old girl from Albania, and recently took part in a One Minutes Jr. workshop in her country. She created a thought-provoking video about youth culture, poverty, and how we all fit into that. We asked her a couple of questions about the video: What is your vi...

BIRTH CONTROL: China’s One Child Policy

Today my attention has been tied to the one child policy in CHINA. As I read one article after ano...

Fix Society - Transgender People and HIV/AIDs

5:30 PM on December 28th 2014, a scheduled post hit tumblr saying “Either I live the rest of my life as a lonely man who wishes he were a woman or I live my life as a lonelier woman who hates herself.” The owner of the blog and writer of the post, Leelah Alcorn, chose neither and killed...

Let's take a stand against unethical businesses

If you found out that a brand you love, or a company you buy from all the time, is guilty of child labour or pollution, what would you do? That's the question we asked a group of young people on Voices of Youth, in collaboration with the Guardian Sustainable Business to find out what you...

Taking action at 2015....for a better future for everyone!

It seems that 2015 will be a crucial year for the world. This year two UN events will take place. The first one will be in September in New York, where world leaders, after the "Millennium Development Goals" (which were put in 2000), will put a new set of goals, the "Sustainable Development...

Can we really change something...?

Yesterday, I had a talk with someone who, at times, I would call suicidal. He told me he was consi...

Have you ever wondered, “What is my purpose in life?” Lord knows I have. I...

Source: http://hurt2healingmag.com/a-purpose-driven-2014/

A Purpose-Driven [2015]

Have you ever wondered, “What is my purpose in life?” Lord knows I have. I think it’s safe to say that discovering your purpose in life then working towards that purpose is what almost every human being undertakes as a goal. Purpose is what gives our lives meaning. So, how do you know...

Women's rights, freedom and religion in the MENA region (2)

In the previous post, we talked a little about freedom of women in a patriarchal society and I fin...

Women's rights, freedom and religion in the MENA region (1)

I talked last time about honor killings in the region of MENA; it’s a critical problem that no o...

Having Natural Hair in Africa

The look of the hair on my head is the look of a wool. The texture is course. But surprisingly I a...