Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

My participation in the ICGLR Heads of State Summit on promoting youth...

After being elected as one of the Ambassadors for the Great Lakes Region children’s Hope Forum i...

Bujumbura by Bus – A Long Walk To Peace!

The Great Lakes region has been the scene of recurring wars. It is important to show this long path...

What Do You Expect From Education?

Consistently you would espouse that this is the revolutionary time period of education as society...

So many people hate LGTB people. But why? Why make someone's life a living...

Source: http://www.voicesofyouth.org/en/posts/is-it-controversial----2

The LGBT rights

Hello everyone.. My first reblog on VOY is going to be a recent post I read written by the blogging intern Maria (http://www.voicesofyouth.org/en/users/227642).The subject of the post is the rights of LGBT people. And to be honest with you, this post is to express my feelings about this...

LGBT Rights in Asia

The recent wedding between a senior British diplomat to his male partner in Beijing has instigated...

Youth inclusion in governance: #30PercentOrNothing vs. #30PercentForWe...

Many Nigerians have, in recent months, decried the low level of participation of the youth in governance. The issue has become a trending topic both online and offline but this did not just happen in an instant. During a national conference earlier this year, a coalition of youths brough...

FEMEN. Have you heard of it?

Have you heard about such an organization as FEMEN? I would like you not to have. I will explain w...

CRC@25

The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), is a treaty ratified by a almost a...