Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

The price for a Corruption free society is expensive

I am driving to the airport to catch a plane and time is running out. A traffic officer stops me b...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/powerful-young-leaders-baroness-...

Powerful Young Leaders Interview: Baroness Lindsay Northover

The Powerful Young Leaders from Mams FM got an amazing opportunity to interview Baroness Lindsay N...

Gender Issues must be taken into consideration in all stages of Develo...

The 16 Days of Activism against gender violence is an international campaign. It starts on the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women on 25th November and ends on 10 December, Human Rights Day. The campaign hopes to raise awareness on gender based violence prevention...

The Olympics As Our Voice Towards Activism

On November 2, 2014, the United Nations General Assembly passed a resolution that "supports the in...

Two Game Changers: Nimco Ali and Laura Bates

As part of #16DaysOfActivism, we at #YouthForChange will be highlighting incredible women from acr...

L'oranais, an Algerian movie

Most of us like cinema, like seeing movies and watching series. Many of us like actors and there a...

Youth and politics

In this ambitious world of ours where we are living within an ethically composed web, acquiring political literacy is a matter of predominant importance. The true regimen of politics is to shape a proportional and egalitarian society denoting integrity and lawfulness but it seems to be cover...

The Coalition of Immokalee Workers--My Crusade

When you are trying to change the world, and everyone around you says “no”, you are most likel...

Men, Gender Equality is your issue too

It's been over one month since Emma Watson's speech was presented at the UN but I relate to it tim...

WHY ABSTINENCE ALONE JUST WONT CUT IT

In this generation it is normal to see young people going out and dating but not so long ago durin...