Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

Globalization: Key Benefits and Main Problems

* This article was published by Rocio Amado Torres on the course “Globalization” at the Univ...

He For She: The mission of my life!

It was one of the great days of my life when I had the opportunity to volunteer during the launchi...

Bullying

Bullying is a popular problem in school as well as on social sites. I believe that it starts with...

Part 2 - Support Hashtag Movement

Hello all- I posted about a week ago describing a social media campaign to raise support for a...

Ubuntu...What is it?

It has been a philosophy and a living concept that shaped human relations across hundreds of years, but many people are beginning to question ubuntu...asking, "What is it really? Is it alive today? We hear reflections from the youth on the streets of Cape Town, South Africa.

Youth Assembly at the United Nations: Time to Unite Youth!

Once again, I was honored to join hands together with my young leaders in organizing an incredible...

They bullied us, now we are stronger !

My parents had me after eight years of marriage; I was their first child and you can imagine what...

SHOULD FREEDOM OF PRESS/SPEECH BE ABUSED?

Freedom of Speech or Free Speech as called by many is a basic human right as recognized by the Uni...

Deah/Razon/Yusor Support

Hello- I'm just finishing the Physical Therapy program at Elon University, and would just like to sa...

World Radio Day - Portrait 2

Radio is a very active media, even the poor can afford it. Join Neema Charles Mchachu, a Tanzanian young reporter, and her story about the impact of radio on her life.