Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

Global Voice for Change Learning Video

Plan International spoke to young people we work with in four countries to explore how they are communicating with each other and what they would like to do if they were able to connect with young people in other countries. The video above summarises what they said. Click here to le...

Words can destroy people

A few months ago, I was diagnosed with depression. I knew I was depressed, but after I was diagnos...

Real Stories of Ebola

"Every day and night, I sit in my family's little home in Monrovia and watch people from my community cry as their family members are taken away by the National Ebola Taskforce to be cremated. They cry that they won't see their family any more, they won't even be able to talk about them...

Forced marriages on the rise in the time of Ebola

Posted by Christiana, Plan youth blogger 21 November 2014: My name is Christiana. I am 17 years...

We will not give up !

A bullet and a gun can end someone's life but death will not make us weak. I was in the hall o...

Restricted Freedom

The first amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America states the right to have freedom of speech and freedom of the press. These two principles are followed strictly in America and other countries with democracy or a democratic republic as a government. Not all countries ha...

Viewing Feminism as He for She

The belief that men and women are equal is the true definition of feminism. In our society, femini...

Stop. Don’t fall. We have a journey to pursue.

I’m not sure whether it’s a request or a simple truth. But I’m sure it’s the only possibil...

Edward Snowden, a hero!?

Sitting in front of your computer, you’re sending messages to your friends on Facebook, tweeting...

Learn more about Global Voice for Change and the Youth Steering Commit...

What is Global Voice for Change? Global Voice for Change is a pilot project with young people in...